Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows XP?

Default Re: Windows XP?

My biggest problem moving from XP to W7 has been that Outlook Express is no longer supported. My computer shop said Live is useless, and recommended using Mozilla Thunderbird. Most people making the transition probably just walk away from their old e-mail archives as the migration is reported to be somewhere between ridiculous and impossible.

I won't say the transition was painless. Initially T'bird was ultra slow due to interference from my anti-virus software. Migrating old email files from OE to T'bird was painful (one must put on one's Administrator mask and dive into hidden directories to retrieve files from unlikely-looking directories). But it eventually worked.

But now the problem is my wife is off her ancient XP and on my new W7 laptop. And we upgraded the XP to a solid state hard drive a few months back. So maybe that machine can be upgraded to W7 and I can get my laptop back!

You can keep using it if you like. Sooner or later some hacker will probably find some new vulnerability (how does a company sell a product that is so full of vulnerabilities, that in 12 years they can't fix all the vulnerabilities?). But I'm sure it will make the news when they do. Since virtually every ATM in the country runs on embedded XP any hack will make the news... at that point either someone will offer a fix or you will need to change operating systems...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

For those still using the combination of Windows XP and Internet Explorer, now is the time to abandon Internet Explorer and switch to a better browser. Microsoft has acknowledged that Internet Explorer has a serious security flaw, but whatever patch Microsoft might release will not fix the issue on XP.

More here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...curity/2963983
    A related article: http://www.zdnet.com/governments-urg...nd-7000028869/

I use Chrome, but Firefox is another popular alternative browser.

In my opinion, anyone still using Internet Explorer, regardless of whatever version of Windows, would be better off switching to an alternative.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Definitely need to dump IE if you are using XP. Now that Microsoft has announce the problem, hackers will do their best to take advantage of the 20% of computers that are still running XP.

You're probably find if you use another browser and just visit typical websites, but you way want to avoid accessing credit card accounts, bank accounts, retirement accounts, etc.

>As you probably all know, Microsoft is ending support for Windows XP, which I have on a Dell E510. I know there are some on Beesource that are experts with computers so,..what do I need to do?

People will keep using it. It won't suddenly stop working. When hackers break XP it will make the news. Especially since virtually every ATM in the country runs XP embedded and cannot be upgraded, only replaced and they are not rushing to replace them. I would keep an eye on the news. The day a major security flaw is found, I would probably disconnect it from the internet and buy an new computer... but that might be a long time from now... or not. Microsoft had 12 years to fix all the flaws in security in XP. Surely it can't still be THAT vulnerable... :O
    Last edited by Michael Bush; 04-30-2014 at 08:01 AM. Reason: typo
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I just put Firefox on my wife's W7 machine this morning. By coincidence (or IS it), Firefox just announced a major upgrade this morning ... that may be what we got.

Good news: Mozilla Firefox (and Thunderbird) are free. But that also means the code is open source and not supported by an army of paid geeks. So is it really more secure? Hope so.

It is an option for Windows XP and up, and is being recommended.

There's a rumor going around that the real problem is Adobe Flash player, but it turns out that is a separate problem from the Internet Explorer bug.

I'd like to go back to a ROMed-in OS. Get it right, and quit messing with it.

>Good news: Mozilla Firefox (and Thunderbird) are free. But that also means the code is open source and not supported by an army of paid geeks. So is it really more secure? Hope so.

So far it has worked out to be more secure, yes. Look at it this way, the security people try to hack code. They reverse engineer what is not open source and they many not find all the holes for a while. Open source, on the other hand, does not require reverse engineering and is commented code you can look at and see the security holes. The experts are more likely to notice the problems sooner and fix them.

>It is an option for Windows XP and up, and is being recommended.

I don't know how that will work out for firefox. If the new versions will continue to operate on XP or not.

>There's a rumor going around that the real problem is Adobe Flash player, but it turns out that is a separate problem from the Internet Explorer bug.

There are new bugs every day. I don't think I've ever updated my computer but that there was not more to install the minute I get done...

>I'd like to go back to a ROMed-in OS. Get it right, and quit messing with it.

It would be nice...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12