Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Making Increase Without False Readings of Resistance

Quote Originally Posted by mike bispham View Post
    The idea is to some have large hives dedicated to raising bees and brood - I'm planning to go with long hives and a good working height to make life easier. Frames can be spread, brood/stores can be taken out and replaced with (usually) starter strip frames, bees can be shaken (or young bees collected at the entrance with a separator).

Additionally I'll use dedicated cell-builder hives to supply queen cells. I'll mostly use small mating nucs, then transfer to 6-frame nucs. I'm currently favouring the idea of growing colonies using the queen's own offspring as much as possible from the start. This will avoid false starts and false readings due to borrowed bees.
    Mike (UK)
    I don't think it's possible to use this method, or pretty much any other method of making increase, without affecting mite numbers. I'm thinking it would be equally good to use any method you like ie splitting or whatever, and once the new hive is established treat it as a new unit & start new mite counts from scratch. Anything else is too overcomplicated & likely counter productive.

Without worrying about mite counts, if it's just purely maximum numbers of increased beehives you want, the most effective method is this. Raise the queen cells in cell raiser hives. When they are due to hatch make nucs for them using standard frames and a smallish number of bees. 4 frame not 6 frame. When the queens have mated combine or re-establish any that did not mate. Add bees to the ones that did mate to enable the queen to lay in good quantity. Ensure they have all the food they need.

Won't help with continuum of mite counts but will get you maximum increase. Just start mite monitoring with them from scratch.

My humble opinion.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: Making Increase Without False Readings of Resistance

Although having thought about it I do not think you have the resources to produce your 50 queens per month using that method, not sure how you plan to do that.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123