Default Considering very seriously...

Hi to everyone,....
    I'm a recently retired guy that has moved up to the South Cariboo Dist. of British Columbia, Canada. And I'm glad to have left the "big city lights" behind.
    I have a few plans of things I want to do and I'm seriously considering starting one or two colonies of bees,.......for a few reasons.
    #1. I have heard/read like most everyone that there is a shortage of bees on the planet and their rate of decline is astounding
    #2. My wife and I plan on having our first garden in a long while and having the bees would undoubtedly be beneficial to that, and our surrounding neighbors gardens as well.
    #3. I like to keep myself busy with hobbies and things to do. [ I have other interest such as hunting, fishing, motorcycles and snowmobiles ]
    but a guy can't hunt, fish and ride his touring bike all the time ..LOL !!

So I hope this forum and web site can be a good resource to guide me through the process of getting started in beekeeping. Then,...hopefully I to can help others as I become more informed.
    I believe I'm too late to have bees this summer but the plan is to get things like the hives and equipment, [ including an electric fence for the bears ]
    ready for early spring next year. I also plan to search out the local "bee club" and beekeepers in my area to see if I can maybe help out and hopefully learn from them before I actually have my own bees.
    I look fwd. to reading up on the posts already here and future ones as well.
    Ciao

Default Re: Considering very seriously...

Wecome Rickyboy. This is an excellant resource for information. YouTube is another. Local bee clubs as well.

Hey rickyboy. I am very new to this all. I just started last summer and have very little advice to offer, however, you mentioned you may start with 1 or 2 hives. I would start with atleast 2. I started with 1 hive and I had nothing to compare to. With 2 hives, you have a comparison and you also have a source of resources you can borrow from another hive. I.e. I ordered four more packages this year and it would be nice to start them out with drawn frames from other hives. Now, I have to take four frames from my only existing hive and set it back a little. 2 hives could have split the burdon. Good luck and I hope you dive into this very addicting hobby.
    todd.

Welcome Ricky!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

You have a good plan but if you wanted to start this year and could source some bees then it is not too late.

Hello and welcome.