Default Beetle Killer Bottom Board

I am fairly sure someone has tried this before, but I just had to give it a go.

This bottom board is equipped with a slide in board to close off the screened bottom in the winter, and to insert a mite check grid. But I wanted to see if I could limit the amount of Small Hive Beetles that entered the front entrance, so I created a Beetle Guard. Like a cattle guard, it is designed for bees to walk across, but hopefully the clumsy little SHB will fall through into the oil bath that awaits. It slides in and out from the sides of the bee porch. See the photos below. Maybe I put too much time into this, and maybe it has already been tried, but if so, tell me about your experience. I am seeking a way to get the beetles before they get into the hive.
    IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    No one famous.

Default Re: Bettle Killer Bottom Board

Nice workmanship, the trouble is the SHB flies in....but it's worth a shot.............
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I know some will, but I have watched them land on the porch and walk right in . . . little buggers.
    Last edited by Bee Whisperer; 03-23-2014 at 09:05 PM.
    No one famous.

What are your thoughts on this idea? Anyone else?
    No one famous.

I run full oil trays under the sbb. Keep us posted how this works, sure would be easier to maintain.

What mesh is the screen? If 8 mesh, you may want to cut out some of the wire so that there are slots, approx 1/8 X 1/4 which shouldn't be a problem for bees, but would possibly trip up and cause the SHB's to fall through.

Phil

I see that the word "Beetle" is misspelled in the title of the initial post. My apologies.

The hardware cloth is #8; the same thing I use for screened bottom boards. The beetles seem to fall through it pretty well. I also have an oil bath bottom board, and it catches a good number of them. They are very clumsy little creatures, but I suppose the bigger ones might not fall through.

I may need to make a porch roof on the lower deep to keep the rain out, and to keep it from splashing the oil out onto the porch area.
    No one famous.