Default Hive height off the ground

I live in michigan. Just picked up my first hive. Any suggestions on how high I should place it. I'm putting the hive on vacant land I own. I am afraid if its just 1 foot off the ground. I will have to dig it out of the snow to often this winter.

Default Re: Hive height off the ground

Welcome to Beesource!

In Tennessee I get snow, but normally not enough to worry about my hives. My hives just sit on cinder blocks.

However, there are plenty of hives that winter outdoors in Canada, just sitting on pallets. The snow does not suffocate the bees, and does provide a form of insulation for the hives.

Links to snow photos:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ehives-in-Snow

Also, you could use top entrances and gain about an additional 19" for double deep hives.
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Rader S is right on the money. Most people elevate their hives for two reasons, easier on the back, and for critters such as skunks and possums (ignore the spelling.. lol) Serious though, give them an upper entrance/ventilation hole, and if you think that you may have a critter problem, most people elevate the hives to about 18 inches off the ground. That way it exposes the underbelly of the critters and the bees sting them in the tender area and they won't come back so quick..
    Thomas Bartram - Since 2013, 43 - 8 F langs, 22 Italian & 21 Russian

I find that 14 " keeps skunk activity down, However, I have hives that sit on pallets, and a few that sit on a piece of rubber mat right on the ground. I do not like bending over to do a hive check and find that 2 deeps on cinder blocks is a great height to work the hive, however once you get 3 supers on the lifting can be a pain on elevated hives. Pick one and try it out, if you do not like it change it.

Hi,

We raise our hive off the ground around 12 inches, but we are in New Zealand don't get snow like you.

I have seen people use upper entrances in snow areas, in case the bottom entrance does get blocked by snow. That may be an option for your colonies.
    Gary Fawcett
    We blog and Podcast about beekeeping at http://kiwimana.co.nz

In Michigan a good windbreak and an upper entrance are important.Height is what ever is comfortable.Important also to keep in mind what Tenbears said about the critters.Michigan has a lot of critters that like eating bees and honey!

Mine are all 3 1/2" off the ground with a top entrance. I don't have to shovel any snow...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Welcome A2!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com