Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bending aluminum for telescoping covers?

But a finger brake.

That aluminum valley flashing bends easy, I clamp it to my work bench with a 2x4 over the top of it, work the initial bend up with my thumbs (wear gloves) and use a rubber mallet to finish the bend. Do 2 sides, staple it to the wooden top. Pick up the top, turn it upside down, use the top and the table surface to bend the two ends. Set it down on the bench, use a mallet to finish the bends, staple. Use the mallet to fold the corners and staple.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    The two long sides went well with a Harbor Freight sheet metal bender. How do you use it on the short sides after you have the bends done on the long sides?
    For those you sneak in where I used to work and use the bending brake with the adjustable benders (finger brake?). Ah, but they're out of business. So you cut a piece of steel bar to fit the short sides and use another to pound down on the tab. If you're just doing a couple and using thin aluminum, even wood will do.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
    The two long sides went well with a Harbor Freight sheet metal bender. How do you use it on the short sides after you have the bends done on the long sides?
    You could go buy the 18" one at harbor freight or you could go and buy a piece of steel and grind a relief on it so you can overe bend it a little but make sure to leave the the bottom coroner alone?