Default Please comment on this SBB with oil pan design

I would appreciate constructive critique and suggestions to improve this design for this SBB design. It's not completely original. Just a standard IPM style SBB that is deeper with slats across the bottom to support a pan or cookie sheet with oil in it to trap SHB.

The drawing on the left is the front minus the #8 hardware cloth that would cover the opening. Through the opening you can see the slats that would support the oil pan.

The drawing on the right is the back of the SBB with the access door down. The oil pan would be serviced through this opening. Below the slats, Rabits run along each side board that will allow a sold panel to slide in to close up the SBB.

Overall height is 5 5/8". The opening for the oil pan is 2". Depending on height of the pan, the overall height could be reduced.

Thanks for any input.

SBB with pan.jpg

Default Re: Please comment on this SBB with oil pan design

I would just make the SBB with a solid bottom below the oil tray. If you have the oil tray in place, then the solid bottom will keep bees out of the oil. If you are not using the oil tray, and want air flowing through, you can just leave the tray access hatch open to allow air flow.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Oh yeah I was going to staple a piece of hardware cloth across the bottom as well to keep the bees out.
    Thanks Rader.

Looks very nice. I have used vegetable oil and it was messy. Then, I read somewhere that powdered garden lime would work just as well. So, I tried using a thin layer of lime in my trays and it worked. Not messy and I just reuse wherever I need lime.