Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Your favorite brew supply store

16K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  Tenbears 
#1 ·
I am seriously looking into making my own wine a little later this year. I'm just waiting for it to warm up a little more so I don't have to worry about the fermenting stopping due to it getting to cold. I was wondering where everyone gets their supplies from. I know there are some online stores but I wanted some experienced feedback on which ones were better than the others.

#9 ·
Everyone will have a favourite store that is specific to where they live.

My biggest advice I can offer relating to making your own wine is to get quality juice. Don't start with concentrate because it is cheaper like so many have done.

90% of the taste of your wine is based on the grape juice used. If you start with crappy juice, you can perfect the other 10% of the taste and it will still turn out tasting like cheap crappy wine.

And the difference going from concentrate to freshly pressed grape juice works out to less than $2/bottle.

#10 ·
austinhomebrew.com is one of my favorites. Flat rate shipping. I know I am paying full shipping rate but they present it so delicately.

midwestsupplies.com is another good place to buy on line. If you have a good well stocked local homebrew store for goodness sake patronize them! This town doesn't have a store.

#14 ·
morewinemaking.com is the sister-site to morebeer.com, i like them mostly for the yeast selection in as small as 8g packages, and some of the other additives they have available

brewandwinesupply.com, in MO - Doug is a great guy

Northern Brewer & Midwest are also pretty good

#15 ·
Thank you everyone, I have decided to buy what I can from the local store even though its a little more expensive because it is a local mom and pop place with very friendly people and the things I either want a better quality (like the corker) or items I cant get there I will search out with the list above.
Thank you again for all the help :D

#17 ·
E.C. Kraus - Ed is a 3rd generation brewer, sends out an excellent e-newsletter, and has a lot of supplies in his catalog.

Locally, I get things from Surf Brewery in Ventura, California.

I recommend joining a club while you are a newbie, like me. I am lucky to have one of the oldest home brewing clubs in the country nearby, the Maltose Falcons, in Los Angeles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.