Default Is this normal? or did Imess up?

I am making mead for the first time. I followed the recipe to the letter. All seemed to be going well Fermenting like crazy. The recipe said in 21 days place 5 crushed campden tablets in a clean carboy, then rack the mead into it, top up with bottled water. I got ahead of myself, and added tap water. The mead foamed a bit. I then placed the airlock on, Although the brew has been bubbling for the past 3 weeks since I racked it. They are very fine bubbles and the airlock never seems to bubble. I realize it may be releasing a bubble every now an then when I am not around as the mix is still giving off tiny bubbles that may take quite a while to work the lock. Is this normal? or did I ruin my mead by adding tap water.

Default Re: Is this normal? or did Imess up?

Not to worry. Airlock activity is not a good gauge of fermentation activity, as pressure differentials vary with barometric pressure, temperature, etc. Tap water won't harm anything unless your tap water is REALLY gross . How much top-up water for how much mead volume? I'm guessing 5 gallons since you used 5 campden tabs. Sulfiting is intended to protect the mead from oxidation, but with good siphoning technique isn't really necessary for a 1st rack as the still-active yeast will strip any incidentally-introduced O2.

At any rate, no harm done.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Default Re: Is this normal? or did Imess up?

Yes it is 5 gallons of mead, and I toped it to the neck of the carboy which took about 8 ounces +- the fermentation change was dramatic, I was told that happens when you take the mead off the lees. I just would hat to see it go bad if there is something I did wrong and can fix it. thanks for the help.