Default Annual end of extraction brewing.

I scraped and rinsed the last of the wax out of my capping melter and started rinsing all utensils in hot water that gets reheated as required. Then I start adding melter honey to the rinsewater until the SG is 1.125. I dumped in a half pound of trapped pollen and 10mg of KIV-1116. I will areate liberally for three days and having kept the temp in the room around 72, the most of the fermentation will be done. Since this fermentation will have taken place in a sticky just emptied 30 gallon settling tank, I drain off the must into a brew bucket with four gallons of choke cherries. Another with a bucket of wild plums. Another with a lug of peaches in a fruit bag. I will let this work under air lock for ten days. Then I will be able to siphon off into carboys and air lock them for a long winters nap. It all finishes with a bit of perceived sweetness. The burned honey has a portion of carmelized honey that does not ferment and gives a taste of its own to the brew. I can't drink it all but like Chicken Little, I have lots of people more than willing to partake of my labors. Pouring that sticky water down the sink drain is just plain silly!

Default Re: Annual end of extraction brewing.

[QUOTE=Vance G;1166864]SG is 1.125. I dumped in a half pound of trapped pollen.
    Why the pollen? I have not seen any meade recipes that use it. I am curious about the effect on the final product.

It is my substitute for nutrient and energizer. It promotes an unbelievably active fermentation and I love the color and taste it imparts. I use it for making my traditionals too. I would say something about how many ways there are to skin a cat but I don't want to confuse anyone Into thinking I am advocating that for an ingredient.

Ok that all makes sense. Thanks. I have 4 gallons in the bubbling stage right now. 2 gal of JAOM one of raspberry and one cyser.