Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: 5 gallon buckets- Home Depot or food grade?

Just found some at wallmart paint section, eventheir blue buckets are hdpe 2 and less than $3

I own a small restaurant and we go through (and throw away) about 3-4 5 gallon pickle buckets a week. We also go through about 2 - 3 gallon sauerkraut & sport pepper buckets a week. Ask around some of your local restaurants, but if they agree to save some for you, pick them up FREQUENTLY. We'll save some for those who ask, but we also don't want a bunch of them piling up out back because the people won't come around enough to pick them up.

One other source, is your local grocery, especially a giant or martins. Ask them for the empty pickle buckets they throw away, then just buy a new lid. We clean them out with bleach and buy a new lid if we are selling the buckets. If not, we use old ones that we cleaned.

Never use a bucket that is not food grade for food. Most bars and restaurants buy stuff that comes in food grade plastic buckets. They will give you these buckets and even wash them out for you. Some will retain the smell from whatever was in there (ie: pickles) so let them stand open for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dsegrest View Post
    Some will retain the smell from whatever was in there (ie: pickles) so let them stand open for a while.
    That's what I have. Buckets that held pickles. If after cleaning they still smelled like pickles, would that make the honey smell/taste like pickles?

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    sqkcrk, I did a lot of research on this last year, and it has something to do with the releasing agent that they lube the molds up with. There was actually even a post from someone who worked in a factory were they made 5 gallon buckets.
    Ditto. Along with the conditions of manufacturing...to be food grade the release agent has to be "food grade" and the conditions that the buckets are manufactured in must be sanitary similar to a food processing area.

...then they probably laugh when they throw them in a cardboard box or shrink-wrap them on a pallet all of which most likely isn't foodgrade. They then put them on a truck (along with other things...shovels, paint, bathroom hardware, nails, cleaning solutions, etc.,) for transporting to the BBS. Once there they unload them on an unsanitary loading dock and move them to a pesticide treated warehouse and eventually stacked "open air" for John Q Public to pick from like he's buying cantalopes. John Q Public just happened to have that new strain of influenza going around while he pawed through the buckets. Or, maybe the Bobbsy twins are playing in the aisles as their parents look over paint colors? What's more fun that putting buckets over your head and playing like monsters or somethihg? What? They both have some seriously snotty noses, but no problem...they're just playing with some buckets, hand them a hanky. Food grade??? Yeah, but...

I get my buckets at Lowes. I'm *reasonably* sure that when those yellow "food grade" stickers are stuck on the buckets that the buckets were food grade...but I'm reasonally sure the buckets lose that "certification" or whatever you call it...pretty quickly.

Wash your new buckets (and lids) very well. Please.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    sqkcrk, I did a lot of research on this last year, and it has something to do with the releasing agent that they lube the molds up with. There was actually even a post from someone who worked in a factory were they made 5 gallon buckets.
    My son is a machinist in a plastics factory that makes containers for yogurts and such. When I talk to him this weekend I will ask him this question.

What I do know is that when he goes to work, they all wear hairnets, only workers are allowed in to keep factory sanitary, very clean, thngs like that. I keep hoping they will start making honey containers and I could get seconds real cheap.

I used to get round 5 gal pails with lids free from Walmart. Now they use rectangle, so I use those for cut outs, wax cappings and such as.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Food grade plastic absorbs odors and releases them into honey, so I'd not use anything with pickles, hot sauce, sauerkraut, etc for honey under any circumstances.

Use ONLY new and labeled buckets for selling honey, it avoids all sorts of problems. Wash well first, but they should be OK as is if bought in bulk (they will be shrink wrapped if they are). Used buckets will give you fits with complaints, and a new bucket will go a long way toward protecting you from contamination complaints.

The bucket is cheap compared to the honey, after all.

For use in the honey house, so long as you keep them clean and don't use ANY pesticides in the house, you are fine with washing between uses.

For actual equipment, save your nickles and dimes and buy stainless when you can, it lasts much longer and it is possible to actually clean and sanitize it.

Peter

My local grocery stores bakery throws 5 gallon frosting buckets out weekly. If I catch them before they toss them I get them free.

If you have a local ice cream stand that makes their own, check with them. Often, the fruit they add (peaches, cherries, etc.) come in food grade buckets. Could be a good source.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

[QUOTE I get my buckets at Lowes. I'm *reasonably* sure that when those yellow "food grade" stickers are stuck on the buckets that the buckets were food grade...but I'm reasonally sure the buckets lose that "certification" or whatever you call it...pretty quickly. Ed[/QUOTE]

Food grade is not about the temporary sanitary condition of the bucket when it was made (whether it has bacteria on it's surface) , it's about what the bucket is made of, and that doesn't change no matter how dirty it gets. Paint buckets or whatever else can be made sanitary (from a bacteriological standpoint) but they can't be made food grade.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123