Hybrid View

Default 5 gallon buckets- Home Depot or food grade?

Where does everyone get their honey processing buckets and are they food grade or simply Home Depot grade?

Us Plastics has food grade buckets but they aren't cheap.

Default Re: 5 gallon buckets- Home Depot or food grade?

Our Lowes carries food grade plastic ones.

Tuz is correct. lowes carries FG buckets. they are just a touch more expensive than the normal ones, but not prohibitively so. search their website for

Encore Plastics 5-Gallon Food Grade Plastic Bucket

Item #: 356492 | Model #: 50640

the price muight vary by location. Here it's just a bit under $4

If your just using it to transfer or short term storage (a couple days), then probably doesn't matter. Long term storage would make me wonder what is leaching out of the plastic.

$3.99 for the bucket and $1.99 for the lid at Lowe's. Just bought one last week. Found it in the paint section. They are white and stamped "Food Grade" on them.

There is a code (Google it) it's in the triangle on the bottom of the bucket
    I'm betting. Lowes Home Depot both are food grade

I think it maybe be HDE that means food grade ??

I've actually spoken with Encore Plastic about their buckets. Any of their white or clear-ish buckets are food grade HDPE. That's most of the buckets you'll find new.

Go to the local bakery if you want smaller buckets icing comes in 3 gal buckets and they usually give them away

A jar of Honey goes a long way when asking for buckets at your local bakery.
    Have them place it in the break room.
    I was given over 200 icing buckets since Jan. 1 and they were even calling me when they had 5-6 ready for me.
    I had to ask them to stop as we had enough, now I also have more customers for this years honey.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Our county health department requires bakeries to destroy used buckets. They cannot be reused.��

Good thread. BUT--- at the current pricing for honey, we should pack a pail of artisanal honey in a new FDA approved pail-especially if you are selling in that pail. Its all about image. Most customers expect a new pail when they pay 160-$200+ for a 60 of honey.Used FDA pails are OK around the honey house, but how much is your time worth to clean them out, chase to get them etc.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by candlaman View Post
    Our county health department requires bakeries to destroy used buckets. They cannot be reused.��
    My possibly feeble understanding is that the bakery cannot re-use them. And where I live (Cape Cod-ish...) the supermarket bakeries will hand them over if they have any buckets hanging around.

Quote Originally Posted by Marysia2 View Post
    My possibly feeble understanding is that the bakery cannot re-use them. And where I live (Cape Cod-ish...) the supermarket bakeries will hand them over if they have any buckets hanging around.
    Well, you just never know what sort of gross contamination one might find around a bakery. Perhaps it would be something that would not wash out using the same sort of detergent and water you use to clean dishes to eat off of. And that's just a horrible thought when you are considering storing fermented insect spit.

Aaargh, this throw-away, germaphobic world.

I can just imagine what would happen if the people writing such rules ever found out how cheese is made. Or beer. Or wine.

Just found some at wallmart paint section, eventheir blue buckets are hdpe 2 and less than $3

I own a small restaurant and we go through (and throw away) about 3-4 5 gallon pickle buckets a week. We also go through about 2 - 3 gallon sauerkraut & sport pepper buckets a week. Ask around some of your local restaurants, but if they agree to save some for you, pick them up FREQUENTLY. We'll save some for those who ask, but we also don't want a bunch of them piling up out back because the people won't come around enough to pick them up.

One other source, is your local grocery, especially a giant or martins. Ask them for the empty pickle buckets they throw away, then just buy a new lid. We clean them out with bleach and buy a new lid if we are selling the buckets. If not, we use old ones that we cleaned.

Never use a bucket that is not food grade for food. Most bars and restaurants buy stuff that comes in food grade plastic buckets. They will give you these buckets and even wash them out for you. Some will retain the smell from whatever was in there (ie: pickles) so let them stand open for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dsegrest View Post
    Some will retain the smell from whatever was in there (ie: pickles) so let them stand open for a while.
    That's what I have. Buckets that held pickles. If after cleaning they still smelled like pickles, would that make the honey smell/taste like pickles?