Default How to build pallets to this description?

Hey all,
    I have this guy who'd like me to build a few 6-way pallets for him, to these specs. However, I'm not sure I am understanding what he's describing. Can anyone here clarify? Or maybe draw up something illustrative, and post it here? I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

Quote: 50" X 50" with a 6" open space in the middle that runs the entire length, comprised of a 1" X 2" strip, then 2", then a second 1" X 2" strip; the backs and fronts of the hives will abut this strip. I intend to mount the four hives on the ends with their openings facing toward the center so as to facilitate working the hives without standing in front of any of them. I would like four W clips on each side to help secure the hives to the pallet. I will lift the pallets on the ends with the hives facing toward the center, so as not to have to lift hives with an opening directly in front of me.

Default Re: How to build pallets to this description?

Have him provide you with drawings or a sample!

Sounds pretty simple to me, which is odd. LOL A square pallet with 2 1x2 boards nailed 2" apart and 2" of space, which creates a 6" wide open area down the middle of the pallet. 2" board + 2" board + 2" of empty space = 6"

Moving from left to right you'd have the left edge of the pallet, then 22" of top surface, then a 1" x 2" board. Then a 2" gap, then another 1"x2" board then 22" of top surface then the right edge of the pallet. The two board will run parallel to each other. They are to keep the hives from sliding together to where the fronts of two hives would touch.

Quote Originally Posted by westernbeekeeper View Post
    Hey all,
    I have this guy who'd like me to build a few 6-way pallets for him, to these specs. However, I'm not sure I am understanding what he's describing.

Quote: 50" X 50" with a 6" open space in the middle that runs the entire length, comprised of a 1" X 2" strip, then 2", then a second 1" X 2" strip; the backs and fronts of the hives will abut this strip. I intend to mount the four hives on the ends with their openings facing toward the center so as to facilitate working the hives without standing in front of any of them. I would like four W clips on each side to help secure the hives to the pallet. I will lift the pallets on the ends with the hives facing toward the center, so as not to have to lift hives with an opening directly in front of me.
    I worked as the supervisor at a pallet plant years ago.

These specs are incomplete.
    And the idea won't keep him behind a hive unless all six face to the middle and then think of all the robbing.

Two 50" pallets don't fit an 8' deck very well.

If he forks from the end with two hives facing each other the bees will still come out at him. There is still a 6" gap that they will be acustomed to use.

He needs to rethink.

Goodluck
    Push, Pull, or get Out of the Way