Default Wired Brood/extracting frames & foundation?

When I was beekeeping a number of years ago the wax foundation had wires running from the top-bar to/through the split bottom-bar and then we'd manually string a couple of horizontal wires across the frame to add sturdiness in the brood & extracting frames. I just purchased a single brood super hive from a bee supplier, the foundation is heavier than I was use to, and there was no vertical wires in the foundation (from the top-bar to bottom-bar) nor any horizontal strung wires across the frames.

(1) Will the set-up I purchased be sturdy enough without the wiring for the brood super (and an addition one I plan to purchase in another month from that supplier) then I had been used to?
    (2) The bottom bar of the brood super frames were also solid, not split like in my 60s/70s years of beekeeping?

Just checking!

Default Re: Wired Brood/extracting frames & foundation?

If the frame is grooved top and bottom, the foundation is probably plastic. Plastic foundation is never wired.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

And you are very unlikely to blow out during extraction. The times they are a changing. if you have been out of beekeeping since the 70s you are about to get a rude awakening. bee keeping today is a whole different ball game than it was back them. one must take a far more pro active role in hive management. I will say however the increase in the knowledge required make it more interesting and challenging. and the rewards more sweet. Good luck

Hi,

If you actually have wax foundation watch this vid. Show Dee Lusby leading proponent of small cell beekeeping making foundation, wiring frames, how to use staples instead of eyelets, and how to wrap and tie the wire. Good stuff in there for everyone.

http://www.beeuntoothers.com/index.p...e-and-ed-lusby

Bee well,

Clay

It appears that the foundation is of the plastic type as Americasbeekeeper notes. Purchased from Mann Lake. I also purchased a few extra brood supers with frames & foundation, but unassembled, that hasn't arrived yet. If that is the case do I need to seal the top of this plastic foundation in the top bar groove with beeswax after I put them together? There's no top-bar slab to nail in for support, so just trying to get prepared. If it's essential to drizzle the groove & wax together, in the top of the frame, what type of tool has anybody else used if such is the case.

Probably jumping the gun and should have waited until I received the extra brood supers. Also purchased four cut-comb supers, frames & wax (all unassembled) so not sure what to expect right now!

Plastic foundation is tough enough and tall enough it will stay in the grooves by itself. You may need to add some beeswax though, sometimes the bees aren't very excited about it until you do.

I prefer wedge frames and wired foundation, but my friend here like plastic. We shall see which works better.

The bees, in general, don't care much and some will use plastic foundation without ado. Others won't touch it, I've heard.

Peter

I use the grooved top bar and grooved bottom bar frame from mann lake and their plastic ritcell foundation, the foundation snaps in to place. I use glue and nails to put the frames togeather. have not had any problems. I like it