Default Anybody use wax/nails instead of glue/nails when assembling frames?

I know that most people glue but I'm curious if putting some melted wax in the joints would be viable alternative. I'm sure it isn't as strong, but is this done and is there a standardized technique for it?

Default Re: Anybody use wax/nails instead of glue/nails when assembling frames?

I've never heard of using wax in frame assembly. Doesn't mean it's never done, but this is a first for me.

The problem I see with it, is that if someone is going to go through all the effort of putting melted wax on the joints, why not just use glue? The wax is not going to be adding any strength to the joint, so I don't see what the purpose would be.
    To everything there is a season....

bad idea. use glue

Hoffman frames were developed long before there were waterproof glues. Nails will work pretty well, but Titebond II or III will make very solid frames that are unlikely to pull apart in use.

I use Titebond II, doesn't take much, and check each frame for square and skew before the glue dries. Should last as long as you want to use them that way.

Wax isn't as good as the propolis that the bees will fill all the cracks with.

However, if you are using slotted or grooved frames, wax can be mighty handy for holding the foundation in place!

Peter

I use some foundationless frames, medium and deeps. Without horizontal wire reinforcements, and sometimes even with the wires, a few combs melt and fall out of their frames, each season. I'm afraid wax wouldn't be much of a reinforcement to frame joints - more likely a serious waste of wax, that would be better used to overcoat any frames with plastic foundations.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni