Default Reusing equipment and feed from deadout

My only hive died this winter. I am cleaning it up and curious how much I can reuse. I have been advised to dispose of frames containing brood to reduce chance of disease spread if present. The frame feeder is still full of syrup (and many dead bees). The top hive body is untouched capped honey. They appear to have frozen. Still clustered with no trace of mites... no foul odors. Bottom board covered an inch thick with dead bees.

Default Re: Reusing equipment and feed from deadout

I reuse brood frames from deadouts all the time. I blow the dead bees out of them, spray with a weak solution of bleach/water [5 - 10%] let them dry and put them in the hives or use them for splits. dump the syrup and clean with bleach solution, use the honey in the new hives or, if it's not crystallized, you can extract it. If you're putting a frame of honey in the hive for a new package or a nuc, I'd scratch the cappings so the bees can utilize it easier.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    I reuse brood frames from deadouts all the time. I blow the dead bees out of them, spray with a weak solution of bleach/water [5 - 10%] let them dry and put them in the hives or use them for splits. dump the syrup and clean with bleach solution, use the honey in the new hives or, if it's not crystallized, you can extract it. If you're putting a frame of honey in the hive for a new package or a nuc, I'd scratch the cappings so the bees can utilize it easier.
    What about the actual brood in the frames?

Quote Originally Posted by bjorn View Post
    What about the actual brood in the frames?
    It will start stinking soon. But I just store it in an outshed and when I put it back on a hive, the bees will clean it out with no problem. Bees can clean up better than we can.

I'd freeze the combs with honey until needed.

Sorry for your loss. With that many bees it must have been a strong hive.
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B

Quote Originally Posted by heaflaw View Post
    It will start stinking soon. But I just store it in an outshed and when I put it back on a hive, the bees will clean it out with no problem. Bees can clean up better than we can.

I'd freeze the combs with honey until needed.

Sorry for your loss. With that many bees it must have been a strong hive.
    was wondering if you could illuminate on the "stink" i have a dead out in a nuc that was bottom feed for a top bar hive. lost em, cleaned them out just wondering what a healthy stink is verses disease stink... I believe I had mice in the hive as well as some of the comb is missing, showing evidence of something eating it ... is there a picture library on here showing different scenarios ???

This question gets asked on beesource about 10 times a day... or more... yes I would use it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    This question gets asked on beesource about 10 times a day... or more... yes I would use it.
    Including the brood containing frames? Do I need to be concerned with the decomposing bees in the frames... I won't get my package for a few more weeks. Currently, they are sitting in the back of my truck. Should I freeze them?

The new bees will clean out the old bees. Your work on it may make it harder for them if you break the bees off in the cells...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The capped brood is ok sitting in the cells for another 3 weeks until I introduce the package?

>The capped brood is ok sitting in the cells for another 3 weeks until I introduce the package?

Yes.

Keep it dry and you wont have any problems, swarms move into dead hives all the time, in trees , walls and boxes and some of them have been dead for years..
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!