Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Western Bee Supply - outrageous shipping costs!

Looked at Western with 2 unassembled hives and the total price is $518, so a $23 difference from assembled, but you still need to add glue and nails plus your time. Not much difference and for $23, I will ordered assembled and not have to take the time putting them together. Also, the shipping seemed to only change by $4 between assembled and unassembled.

If you don't want to take the time to assemble some hives then you are dead in the water already.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Many of these companies make money on shipping.
    Can you prove that? It is illegal.

As for free shipping. I did not notice the price of my items increase as I crossed that $100 mark. I did notice the order went from $135 to $110 after adding another $35 in products.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Can you prove that? It is illegal.
    Can not prove it, but when shipping from one company is $342 and the shipping distance is 2000 miles and another company shipping cost is $410 with a shipping distance of 120 miles, sure looks like something fishy.

As a customer, you always have the option to provide the shipper with your UPS account number and have shipping charges billed directly to your UPS account. That way you will find out (and pay) the exact shipping cost. (This applies to shipping via FedEx and LTL trucking companies as well.)

However, unless your own UPS account ships a LOT of packages (and you get a corresponding big discount from published rates), using your own account may not save you any money. In fact, you are likely to pay "counter rates", which are what you get simply walking up to a UPS owned shipping counter.

When it comes to getting discounts from published shipping rates - its all about VOLUME.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Isn't "shipping" considered a business expense? I don't have a business that ships anything, so I really don't know, but wouldn't shipping be added on as a tax deductible expense?

I understand the volume discount. This is one of the reasons Mann Lake has such good prices. The other reason their prices are low is because of the stores they have placed across the US to shorten the shipping distance and delivery times. It is hard for local businesses with one store to compete. Look at Walmart.

I find that the only time it makes sense to order from western bee supply is when I bundle with other beekeepers and get the order big enough to have it sent truck instead of UPS. Sad because I'm a fan of their products, but shipping is a killer.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Amen. I get so tired of all the drum pounding about free shipping. IT'S NOT FREE! These companies are in the business of making money, not giving it away. It's a age old sales tactic and they are making up for not charging for shipping over a certain size order, elsewhere.
    Barry, you should not put out truth like that, you will just confuse people!

Question Re: Western Bee Supply - outrageous shipping costs!

This is a joke right. Maybe Western bees is more setup for the comm.beekeeper. My order from Western came in $590 less then the others with shipping. Ofcourse my order came in on 6 skids.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Package carriers like UPS and FedEx have as part of their rate schedule a concept called DIM Weight (Dimensional weight). The cubic volume of the item is computed, and for items that exceed a certain ratio of volume to weight - additional charges are applied.

I haven't specifically checked assembled hives, but given the large volume of empty space in a hive body, I'd expect that assembled hive bodies are charged shipping at DIM rates.

Buy your [shipped] hives unassembled and assemble them yourself to save on shipping costs. Don't forget to use glue along with staples/nails/screws.

... Titebond is good ...
    Most ground freight rates are based on 6lb per cf ( they want about 1000lbs per running foot in the trailer). Along with what class the freight fall under. From a class 50 to a class 200. Class rates are Loosely based on a claim chance also. An example of this would be that a Lb of steel ingots move at a class 50 but a Lb of feathers moves at a class 200.

Airfreight carriers rates are based on a 10 to 12 lb per cf ( I am not sure of the exact as I only did International and at the time it was 10.4 lbs per cf).

Some where around 150lbs freight rates start to beat Fed Ex / UPS

To save on freight cost always pick up at the local trucking terminal. Don't pay the extra $50 or so for residential or lift gate. Most terminals are open for pickup 24 hours a day. As my company says "We have a gold medal winning will call service". Shop around for the best rate. Some times the local trucking will have the best rates and will have interchange agreements with another company in the pickup location. Even those I work for a company that only services WA, OR, and ID, we can and do via,other carriers, cover most of the US.

Check if you can use your employers accounts to ship. Volume also if a big factor in rates. My best customers pricing is upwards to 60% less that what I would charge a one time shipper.

I've found that if you actually pick up a phone and call the suppliers, that sometimes the freight calculator is off and the actual freight is less than shown. Ordering for delivery to local/regional beekeeper meetings is by far the best option.

As for 'free' shipping...the bottom line to you is how much you have to pay for an order...doesn't matter whether it's for wood, wax, feed, or freight...it's the total amount of money you lay down to get the supplies to your home. Ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Btw, in the few years that I've been keeping bees it's always been stated to me that ordering woodenware (frames, boxes, tops, bottomboards, etc.) to be shipped in small quantities (non-palletized) is *very* expensive. This goes back to the hobbyist doing best to pick up orders at local shows/meetings. A good idea might be to start finding out when and where the nearest beekeeper meetings will be that will have vendors present...and plan accordingly for the future.

Best wishes,
    Ed

PS... If you can afford it....buy extra frames and supers when you place your order...the bottomboards and tops can be cobbled together quiet quickly with wood scraps.

One more thing, the OP might want to edit the title, being as the title makes it sounds like Western Bee is gouging people on freight...when basically they're inline with other vendors. I've never bought from Western Bee, but folks out that way tend to speak well of them.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by rweakley View Post
    I find that the only time it makes sense to order from western bee supply is when I bundle with other beekeepers and get the order big enough to have it sent truck instead of UPS. Sad because I'm a fan of their products, but shipping is a killer.
    You can get the same woodenware at Dadant. Western Bee seems geared more towards commercial outfits or clubs making a group order and you get it shipped LTL.

Should say, "Shipping included" not "free."

Dadant owns Western Bee. Order budget woodware from WB for max savings. It is plenty good enough. Talk to Vicky about shipments of middlin size orders 'surface freight with you picking up the pallet at your local freight terminal. I am close enough to consider driving, but shipping that way is cheaper for me. Surface freight shipments to your residence involve fun charges like $50-$100 in liftgate fees and other extra charges avoided if you pickup at the terminal.
    Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    You can get the same woodenware at Dadant. Western Bee seems geared more towards commercial outfits or clubs making a group order and you get it shipped LTL.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Amen. I get so tired of all the drum pounding about free shipping. IT'S NOT FREE! These companies are in the business of making money, not giving it away. It's a age old sales tactic and they are making up for not charging for shipping over a certain size order, elsewhere.
    Now that's hitting the nail on the head. Thank you, Barry. The uneducated consumer doesn't seem to understand this principle. It frustrates me as the guy who signs the checks here at Western Bee to keep seeing freight costs rising. We have a lot of very nice discounts with shippers (even up to 80%), and have a tier-rated discount program setup with UPS, and we don't "make money" on shipping - most often what we quote you is what we were quoted. I'm not anxious to jump on the "free shipping" bandwagon as it means I'm going to have to raise my prices on woodenware to cover shipping, set up a minimum dollar amount to qualify and gouge everyone who does NOT meet that minimum dollar amount, or grossly increase retail prices elsewhere.

Not sure I'd sleep at nites if I did that......

Rick
    Western Bee

Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    try amazon. an amazon prime membership is still only $80 and they carry mann lake products. thats a years worth of two day delivery plus all the other perks
    +1 on amazon. I've bought 16 boxes of frames among other things in the last 3 month. You can' beat the price when the 2 day shipping is free.
    Robbin NW Florida(8A) / 14 hives / 2 nd Year / 4 TF - 10T {OAV}

Quote Originally Posted by wbee View Post
    Now that's hitting the nail on the head. Thank you, Barry. The uneducated consumer doesn't seem to understand this principle. It frustrates me as the guy who signs the checks here at Western Bee to keep seeing freight costs rising. We have a lot of very nice discounts with shippers (even up to 80%), and have a tier-rated discount program setup with UPS, and we don't "make money" on shipping - most often what we quote you is what we were quoted. I'm not anxious to jump on the "free shipping" bandwagon as it means I'm going to have to raise my prices on woodenware to cover shipping, set up a minimum dollar amount to qualify and gouge everyone who does NOT meet that minimum dollar amount, or grossly increase retail prices elsewhere.

Not sure I'd sleep at nites if I did that......

Rick
    Western Bee
    Free freight or not, its the total cost per box that matters. If the freight is free and the cost per box is less, I'd still call it a good deal. Who cares if its free freight or me paying the freight. I wait for the Mann Lake weekly sales and their price with free shipping is seldom ever beat. If you pay the regular catalog prices, then someone may beat them occasionally. Since I only have 7 hives, extra components for 10 more hives and 35 supers, I probably can't take advantage of your pallet freight pricing.

I received my order from Western today -- enough material to build 25 doubles, minus foundation (that's on the next order) and with $308 freight it was still considerably cheaper than the guys with free shipping. It helps that I have a commercial dock where I work, home delivery is more.

You can always buy more than what you want to get the good price and run an ad on Craigslist to sell the extra --you can end up with some inexpensive hives.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast