Hybrid View

Default Western Bee Supply - shipping costs!

I attempted to purchase about $150 worth of supplies, a couple supers, some frames, other misc. bee stuff. I love their prices on certain items, especially their nucs . . . BUT, over $84 to ship to CT forced me to cancel my order. Just venting . . .

Adam

Default Re: Western Bee Supply - outrageous shipping costs!

If you think they are charging too much then set up a UPS account and schedule a pick up at Western. Chances are, you won't save much money.

Are you venting at Western or the general cost of shipping?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Did the supplier force you to cancel your order or your lack of money?bottom line, if you couldn't afford the shipping then just say so. No one will hold that against you.

kelley and mann lake have free shipping right?

Quote Originally Posted by burns375 View Post
    kelley and mann lake have free shipping right?
    Free shipping? I like to refer to it as being included in the price. With Mann Lake its priced into some items and some items it isn't. I recently wanted an approximately 20 pound parcel next day shipped from Minnesota to Texas. I got a price of around $250. Decided to go with the "free" standard shipping and got my parcel about 4 days later.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I'm just venting in regards to the costs of shipping lately . . . I suppose it's of no fault to Western. My initial post could have been worded differently.

The cost of shipping stopped me from an order to Kelly's,So it's not just Western Bee Supply,
    It's a shame when shipping is about 1/3 to 1/2, the cost of the product,
    Everyone blames it on the high cost of fuel,That is a bunch of B/S,
    I drive over the road,& I'm hauling some freight for the same today as I did 4-5 years ago,Even some for less.
    To many middle men in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Free shipping? I like to refer to it as being included in the price. With Mann Lake its priced into some items and some items it isn't. I recently wanted an approximately 20 pound parcel next day shipped from Minnesota to Texas. I got a price of around $250. Decided to go with the "free" standard shipping and got my parcel about 4 days later.
    Honestly I don't know. Both Dadant and Kelley are less than 50 miles from my home. I show up tell em what I want, no shipping. I like kelley and there excellent costumer service so I generally go there unless for some reason I am heading east to Frankfort or Lexington. Its great personally knowing the staff and managers at a large company, Kelley is the best. I wish I could have met Mr. Kelley before he passed.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Free shipping? I like to refer to it as being included in the price.
    Amen. I get so tired of all the drum pounding about free shipping. IT'S NOT FREE! These companies are in the business of making money, not giving it away. It's a age old sales tactic and they are making up for not charging for shipping over a certain size order, elsewhere.
    Regards, Barry

I'm lucky both miller and brushy mnt bee supply are driving distance. Miller had a sell on med supers for 5$ I racked up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Amen. I get so tired of all the drum pounding about free shipping. IT'S NOT FREE! These companies are in the business of making money, not giving it away. It's a age old sales tactic and they are making up for not charging for shipping over a certain size order, elsewhere.
    Barry, you should not put out truth like that, you will just confuse people!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Now that's hitting the nail on the head. Thank you, Barry. The uneducated consumer doesn't seem to understand this principle. It frustrates me as the guy who signs the checks here at Western Bee to keep seeing freight costs rising. We have a lot of very nice discounts with shippers (even up to 80%), and have a tier-rated discount program setup with UPS, and we don't "make money" on shipping - most often what we quote you is what we were quoted. I'm not anxious to jump on the "free shipping" bandwagon as it means I'm going to have to raise my prices on woodenware to cover shipping, set up a minimum dollar amount to qualify and gouge everyone who does NOT meet that minimum dollar amount, or grossly increase retail prices elsewhere.

Not sure I'd sleep at nites if I did that......

Rick
    Western Bee

so order from a closer supplier.

I placed an order yesterday that I considered the shipping was far to high. so I ordered it on another site. the shipping came out nearly identical. The cost of shipping has gotten ridiculous. Finally I just ordered $100 worth of stuff from Mann Lake. The last shipping total before I went over the limit was 60 some dollars. I think the order total at that point was about $75. In all I had that same $60 go toward more items rather than lost to shipping.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

If you don't want to take the time to assemble some hives then you are dead in the water already.