Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Smokers

Default Re: Smokers

I have a bunch including an old woodsman, and some dome top ones. I got a Bee Z smoker last year and actually like it. I keep it plugged in all summer and just throw wood shavings in it, press the button and 30 seconds later I am smoking hives. I don't think the battery will last for doing 100s of hives, but for quick checks or small apiaries it is great. I don't have to light it and don't have to put it out before putting it back in the truck.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Protect that old Woodman smoker especially if the logo is still visible. They have become a collectors item. I have one on display, brings back lots of memories for me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-WOOD...item27e0660975
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

60 bucks couldn't buy my woodman
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Hijacking not intended:

Speaking of the Woodman smoker, my sister recently bought me one at an estate auction along with two older helmets (pressed cardboard) and two veils (Los Angeles Honey Company). The woodman smoker is in great shape and I lit her up yesterday and she worked great, but then I was a boy scout and can build an awesome fire. I want to keep my Woodman in good shape, so what can I dress the bellows with to keep it from dry rotting? I cleaned out the creosote (was a lot) with a torch to keep it from going flamethrower on me.

I just received my new 10" Dadant smoker w/shield and had a question as customer service has not answered by email. The old Woodman blows twice more air than the new version. I noticed the Woodman bellows air hole is centered and blows directly into the smoker body, but on the new smoker the bellows air hole is drilled higher up and blows right on the edge of the air intake in the smoker body. It seems that half of the air volume is lost by not making it inside the canister. Do I have a lemon or they all drilled off center now?

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Protect that old Woodman smoker especially if the logo is still visible. They have become a collectors item. I have one on display, brings back lots of memories for me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-WOOD...item27e0660975
    ~David
    First Hives in Spring 2014, USDA Zone 5b; Elevation 4603

Perhaps it's misdrilled but it could just be the little tube that goes into the firebox has been knocked askew a bit. Is it possible to "re-aim" it? Quite often in smokers that lose compression the only problem is that a little debris gets into that tube. It's not something you can see unless you pull the "floor" out with some sort of hooked wire and then pull the little tube out to inspect it. Sometimes that's all it takes to get them working like new again.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Thanks, I'll pull it apart and see if the alignment was knocked off or miss drilled.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Perhaps it's misdrilled but it could just be the little tube that goes into the firebox has been knocked askew a bit. Is it possible to "re-aim" it? Quite often in smokers that lose compression the only problem is that a little debris gets into that tube. It's not something you can see unless you pull the "floor" out with some sort of hooked wire and then pull the little tube out to inspect it. Sometimes that's all it takes to get them working like new again.
    ~David
    First Hives in Spring 2014, USDA Zone 5b; Elevation 4603

I retired my Woodman smoker last year, it is still a dandy, just wanted to keep it

The best investment you can make after buying your smoker is a cheap, self lighting propane torch at Home Depot or Lowes. With the push of a button you can have a smoker lit in about a minute. I burn old blue jeans in mine and they never go out. I put it out by plugging it and re-light it to use again.

Ditto that, Ross. My propane torch has saved me many hours in the beeyard.

Hard to beat a Rauchboy.
    www.thebeespace.com/rauchboy.htm

But a can in any of the large smokers helps a lot.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#smokerinsert
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF