Thread: Smokers

Hybrid View

Default Smokers

Which smokers have you tried, and what were your impressions? I've only tried the dadant ones, and thus have nothing to compare to, and would like some input from others with more experience.
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens
    www.facebook.com/Apis.rustica

Default Re: Smokers

If you are a backyard beekeeper it really does not matter. If you have a dozen or more hives get the tall version with the guard. If you want deluxe get the finger guard too.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

I'd go with the tall one too regardless of your hive count.

Agreed, I have a short and a tall one, both with guards and from Dadant. The taller one is indeed worth it, with the small one I had to renew the fuel during the inspections. But how do the Dadant ones compare to the Mann Lake or the ones from other suppliers?
    www.apisrustica.com (French-only website) Bee Breeding: Canadian nuclei & queens

Kelleys are great

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Which smokers have you tried, and what were your impressions? I've only tried the dadant ones, and thus have nothing to compare to, and would like some input from others with more experience.
    You got it right the first time. The only decision is 7" or 10". I prefer the 7" for being lighter and easier to handle. A well lit charge of pellets in a 7" smoker will give you more smoke than most people will use in a day. Just put a dab of "lock tite" on the threads of the bellows' studs to keep the nuts from coming off after a few weeks of use, the lock washers just don't do the job.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Are you saying that Dadant makes the best smokers?

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Are you saying that Dadant makes the best smokers?
    That's my opinion though, in fairness, I haven't tried Kelly's. I have bought some Mann Lake smokers and, in my opinion, Dadant smokers are far superior.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

30 years ago, Woodman was the best, no questions asked. I believe they where purchased by Dadant, so Mr. Lyon is right.

Crazy Roland

Dadant's catalog page with smokers has the following:
    These smokers are of the original Bingham design that is of time proven quality. Dadant's have been manufacturing these smokers since they acquired the A.G. Woodman company in the 1970s, and are proud to produce the smoker that everyone tries to duplicate.

http://www.bluetoad.com/publication/?i=61394&p=21
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    That's my opinion though, in fairness, I haven't tried Kelly's. I have bought some Mann Lake smokers and, in my opinion, Dadant smokers are far superior.
    Amen.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.