Default Is it possible to temporarily house a swarm in 2 supers?

I found another swarm (3rd for this year) and I have decided to try and keep them....I don't have any more deeps, but I ordered some that will hopefully be here next week sometime. I have plenty of medium supers...could I possible put the swarm in 2 supers until I get my deeps and then transfer the hive into them?

Default Re: Is it possible to temporarily house a swarm in 2 supers?

They're going to build quickly, nothing wrong with putting them in mediums, just keep them in there and use all mediums for that hive.

But I don't want to keep them in there.... I will need the supers later on for honey... I just want to house them there until this next week sometime and move them into a hive of deeps

Well, they're gonna build and start laying in a day or two, but if you gotta move them move them.

you could move the medium frames into a deep body and let the bees draw comb from the bottoms of the frames. Its a little fragile but I did it in a pinch a couple of years ago. the following spring that bottom deep was empty so i switched out the frames at that point.

If you have any undrawn frames, now is the time to use those and get them drawn. Good hunting.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Well, I put a bottom board and two medium supers under them and shook them.... most are in the hive. Now what? Can I move them to where I want them now, or should I wait til dark and move them? I only want to move them maybe 50-75 feet from where they are now. I know last weekend a guy from my beekeeping club came and got a swarm, he left the hive there and came back and got it after dark, but he lived about 6-7 miles away. They say we are supposed to get rain tonight late, like 3am or so...

I think they will follow now. Not many are reoriented to that spot yet. Check again in an hour or so, if you need to, give the stragglers an overnight gathering spot of another super.
    Get a cover on them, they want it dark in there.
    A swarm gathers stragglers by scent.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Do you have any deep frames? You can just stack the two mediums and put the deep frames on the top one. They will build up on the deep frames and you can then move them to a deep.

no, no deep frames....nothing but medium supers.... should have some deep frames by this next week....

Well, the bees are in the hive and I went out at 8pm and moved it in it's permanent location....supposed to be raining all day tomorrow so they may not have an opportunity to get out. I think they will do fine

You can temporarily hive them in any dark enclosed box. A cardboard box will do in a pinch... although I think it's helpful if you have something with the smell of bees on it...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Beewildered61 View Post
    no, no deep frames....nothing but medium supers.... should have some deep frames by this next week....
    the medium frames work fine in the deep box if it is the bottom box....the bees will pull natural comb right on the bottom of the mediums. you may have to be careful when handling them for a little while, but they will still be fine.

Glad it worked out for you.

In my opinion, this is another good argument for standardized equipment. I run all mediums, I either have boxes, or I don't...I either have frames, or I don't. Sure helps to simplify entire woodenware issue.

Must have been a nice size swarm, I typically start swarms out in either a 6 frame medium Nuc, or an 8 frame medium....On occasion, they will require 2 eight frame mediums.