Default Top bar beeks in North East Ohio

Hello all. I am planning on keeping bees in top bar hives I have built over the winter. I was wondering if there are any top bar bee keepers in North East Ohio that might like some free labor in exchange for sharing some knowledge. Help a brother out. Thanks
    Life's a garden, dig it. -Joe Dirt

Default Re: Top bar beeks in North East Ohio

Hi, Joe, and Welcome!

My wife and I began keeping bees last year with two top-bar hives, but we're down in southern Ohio. I will say that you've come to the right place for knowledge, though! There are a lot of very helpful people here and there is a lot of information in the threads and the archives. Rhonda and I ended the season last year by combining our two hives into one as both were weak at that point (my strong one had apparently cast a swarm towards the end of the year) and the combined colony has survived the winter. As you may gather from reading the various threads last year was a very difficult year for beekeeping in general and more so for new beekeepers!

I suggest, if you haven't already, checking out the Ohio State Beekeepers Association for a local beekeeping group to join (and of course join OSBA as well.) If the local group has a beekeeping course starting up try to get into it. It will be Langstroth-centric but very informative and will help you to be accepted by the group. I've heard some groups may be hostile towards TB hive beekeepers, but ours was very welcoming.

There are lots of books on the subject as well. The most-recommended one is Top-Bar Beekeeping by Les Crowder and Heather Harrell; it is a very good book on the subject. The best overall book on beekeeping that I've read is The Practical Beekeeper by Michael Bush. Michael is a frequent contributor here and often answers questions. You can read just about everything that's in his books on his web site. I prefer to have the book in hand.

Again, welcome and enjoy! It's a nice day out, so I'm going to go watch my bees come and go for a bit before I head to join my wife at her sister's place for a family get-together.

Cheers,
    Tom

Thanks so much for the reply. I have read Michael Bush's book as well as tons of other stuff. This long hard winter has given me much time to read. Really excited for the weather to break and put all this knowledge to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bondra View Post
    Hello all. I am planning on keeping bees in top bar hives I have built over the winter. I was wondering if there are any top bar bee keepers in North East Ohio that might like some free labor in exchange for sharing some knowledge. Help a brother out. Thanks
    Hello Joe

I am also new to beekeeping and plan on using top bar hives. I live in Concord Twp. I've done a lot of searching, but haven't found any lake county beekeepers. Looks like it's going to be a hands on learning! Are you purchasing bees or planning to catch a swarm?

Pat,
    Thanks so much for the reply. I plan on doing a cutout of a friends wall which has had a feral hive for at least 15 years. I also built three swarm boxes. If you want to get together let me know. I would definately help in any way I can.
    I live in painesville township.
    Joe

Hello Joe
    That would be great. I also have a friend in Kirtland who has the beekeeping itch. I'm sure he would also be interested in meeting you also. We spent last Saturday building several swarm boxes.
    It looks like Old man winter is finally losing it's grip on us. I'm itching to get started.

There is a geauga county bee keepers meeting Thursday evening I was planning on attending. I will be working on top bar hives in my garage Saturday afternoon if you would like to stop by.

Joe

Thanks for the offer but unfortunately Saturday won't work for me. I offered to help a friend during the day and I'm going to the Cavs game at night. If your hive building drags into Sunday, let me know. I'm home all day.
    I looked up the Geauga Bee keepers meeting. Do you have to be a member to attend?

No. It is open to the public. It is only $10 per year to join. It will be my first time there. I will definately let you know if I work on the hives Sunday

Ok good. I should be able to make it Thursday.