Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hi from the Ice and Snow of New Brunswick

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Rob Hughes 
#1 ·
Hi all, Just a quick note to say hi and to introduce myself to the forum. I am a new this year beekeeper and liked this forum so I thought I would stop lurking and jump in with both feet. My grand father introduced me to bees a long time ago and it has taken this long to get to the place where I could dedicate some time to becoming a tender to bees. I have chickens and grow a fairly large garden so I like to keep things natural. Last season I was sitting on the edge of my garden and noticed that I didn't see any bees in the garden. I sat for a long time and not one bee did I see. I got to reading and found that most beekeepers say that the bees are having trouble. I did some research on this subject and found that beekeeping had changed drastically since my grandfathers days.
I decided to get and keep a colony of bees but on further study I learned that I should have at least 2 hives. Well not being one that does anything half way I now have on order 4 nukes of bees from my local supplier. In stead of buying my hives I downloaded plans from the internet for building my wooden ware and am currently building all the parts that I will need. Excluding the frames. They looked kind of tricky to make so at a 1.75 a frame I chose to buy them for now till I figure them out. We just got another 18 inches of snow on Thursday so spring looks a long way away, but I must keep at building all the stuff I need to make sure I am ready for my girls when they arrive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome. I am in Mactaquac. I have 6 now and 8 more on the way. We have a group that meets the second Tuesday of each month at the Agriculture Research Station in Lincoln 7:00 everyone is welcome. Just go around to the back of the building. The Group - Central Beekeepers Alliance of New Brunswick is a group of small Beekeepers that exchange information and have field days etc. Come along......... it is $10.00 for the year to join. I don't have the schedule on me right now but I believe in April George and Ruth from Country Fields are coming up from Moncton to give a talk etc.

#8 ·
Welcome! Amazing, another beesource beekeeper just down the road. I am only in year 3, so very new to this as well. Ice and snow for sure. More snow here than we need! I must try the Lincoln meeting again. The one time I went down there to go to a meeting I found no-one there. It would be useful to link up and share experiences. Good luck with the equipment building. I bought a couple of boxes and used the dimensions to build the rest.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.