Default Greetings from Medfield, MA

Hello all,

Starting up my first hive this spring (package set to arrive from GA Apr. 7th). I'm a cancer researcher working at MIT in Cambridge, but all my hobbies sort of overlap around small-scale permaculture (have a decent amount of stuff on my 1/2 acre, fruit trees, berries, a decent garden plus one for each of my sons, several mushroom species). Also looking to put in a bunch of medicinal herbs this spring, hopefully stuff that will also be useful in natural bee treatment (wintergreen and thyme, some others). I'm hoping that providing my bees with a good variety of bee-friendly medicinal plants will encourage them to self-medicate to some degree, and I can extract and use the essential oils for making grease patties and the like if varroa levels start getting too high. Not really looking to try and manage the 20+ colonies you need to do selective breeding, so I'm hoping that this approach will help maintain some healthy hives provided decent stock. Have wanted bees for about 15 years now, but finally have the backyard and kids old enough (barely, 5 and 3) to listen when I tell them not to go knock over the hive.

-Nathan.

Default Re: Greetings from Medfield, MA

Welcome,

Hope you enjoy keeping bees and we are always here to help with any question you might have.

Mike
    Pearl City Apiary Michael and Loucil Bach

Welcome Nathan!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

i wish you well, Nathan hope you join a beekeepers association near you to share your information and learn
    from others. i also will be picking up 2 packages on the 7th. mine from rick renault of tynsboro.

Welcome! Always good to see another Massachusetts beekeeper....;- )

Hi Mike, mine are coming in from Rick as well, gonna try and get there early (said they open at 8:00) in case there's a "first come, pick of the litter" type deal going on, maybe we'll bump into each other. Finishing up a bee class in Newton tonight, and that came with a membership in the Middlesex club, though I'll probably end up in the Norfolk one.