Default Can some one double check my hive plan?

Before I build my first hive I would like to run it by you guys to make sure I am not making any major mistakes on the size.

I am looking at making my hive, inside dimensions 16" up top, 10" on the bottom and 10" between the top and the bottom. Length will be 44-46". Does that sound alright?

Default Re: Can some one double check my hive plan?

Welcome to Beesource!

The overall dimensions sound reasonable to me.

Personally, I would choose specific dimensions that fit the available lumber. For instance, if you are buying solid boards, 1x10s or 2x10s are actually 9.25" wide. Similarly, 1x12s are 11.25".

I'd make the hive such that a 48" piece of plywood (cut an 8 ft sheet in half for a start) would make a suitable lid.

There is a lot to said for Michael Bush's very simple design ....
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Thanks for the reply. I am going to be gluing up panels from scrap 2x material so I am pretty flexible when it comes to size.

My follower boards are 15" wide at the top, 6" at the bottom, and 10 1/4 tall. I used 1 x 12 for the hive body.

Nice...Rich California folks make nice Top Bar Hives:}

Great Color..

I've always wondered about having a board at the end of the top bars like you have J-Rat. Does that make it hard to remove the bars? I made mine 19 inches and they overhang about a quarter inch on each side of the hive, but having the board on the edge of the bars makes the hive look more finished.

I'm new to beekeeping, ( My bee's should arrive the first week of April.) I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.
    I have a small gap on both ends of the bars. I should be able to use the hive tool to pry the bars up. ( We will see. ) I have joined
    two bee keeper groups. One in the small town I live in. And one in San Diego. ( Lot's to learn ). After watching countless u-tubes on beekeeping
    I used the plans on Wranglerstar.com for my hive with a few changes.