Thread: AFB question

Default AFB question

Recently I discovered one of my yards had a hive with Foulbrood. I t had all the signs... roping sticky brood, pungent terrible smell, weak scattered laying pattern. I destroyed this colony and its woodwork in a burn pit. The other colony immediately adjacent didn't have any apparent AFB symptoms but I shook swarmed the colony into a new deep box with frames of starter strips and burned the frames from the original (don't like to mess around with foulbrood).

I'm hoping these bees will consume any spore laden honey in their stomachs as they build new comb.

My question is how long do I need to starve them to ensure complete consumption of any honey from their previous colony? I would like to feed syrup to help them build back up.
    50 hives along the Chattahoochee River.

Default Re: AFB question

Usually the bees shaken onto foundations were not fed for 48 to 72 hours. After this syrup was given to help draw the wax. I have never done this myself, but this is what is stated in the older ABC & XYZs of Beekeeping books.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic

There was a really good article about 5 or 6 years ago in either the journal or the bee culture where they shook the bee's into a empty box, boiled the frames in a strong lye solution and torched the inside of the boxes. Then if I remember right after 48 hours they shook them out of the box, into a hive body.

You're in Alabama so I don't know what kind of laws they've got, but something you might want to look into.

Here in Tennessee if your apiary is registered with the state (and all apiaries are supposed to be registered), the state will reimburse you for any hives that have to be destroyed due to AFB. You might be able to get some compensation, or might not. Something to look into though.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

I did the shook swarm on Sunday so it looks like I need to get syrup on ASAP. Foulbrood is truly.... the indestructible spore have induced paranoia and I have been bleaching everything in the honey house.

I was at a bee meeting where some folks were sending their out to be "sterilized" using an ? Iotron system. Are others doing that? Seems they don't need to destroy equipment. It is electron beam sterilization. Wax and all can be treated.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

IOTRON ---COLUMBIA CITY, IN. --260 /212 /1722 -FAX 260/ 244/ 2762 -APIARY DAY --is MARCH 21 2014---they will sterilize your boxes / frames / covers/ bottoms--etc. --to eliminate AFB--CHALKBROOD--NOSEMA--VARROA--WAX MOTHS--ETC. I have not taken any thing to them but some BEEKEEPERS at the club who has --say they do a real good job

one box or a truck load

Update 3-28-14: Lab results are back form Maryland and it showing a positive EFB not AFB. So I guess that is good news somewhat. Given the "ropiness" of the gunk in the brood chamber, I would have sworn that it was AFB.

I shook swarmed the entire apiary anyway for good measure.

>Given the "ropiness" of the gunk in the brood chamber, I would have sworn that it was AFB.

In recent times there have been problems with these symptoms that are not AFB. They are often called "snot brood" because of the ropiness but lack of evidence of AFB. This could be a combination of things or it could be "parafoulbrood".

http://www.science.oregonstate.edu/b...afoulbrood.htm
    http://www.encyclo.co.uk/define/Parafoulbrood
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF