Default american foulbrood?

i went thru my deadouts today. 2 of the hives had a couple frames with dead sealed brood. when i scraped the cap off and dug out the dead larva on a couple, it was black and mushy almost liquid,but not stringy. caps didn't appear sunken. didn't have my camera, may go back in a day or 2 and take a few pics. kinda worried now, would hate to have to burn all my equipment and my hive that is robbing them out. any opinions? i know i can send samples to be checked, just checking to see if anyone has an explanation.

Default Re: american foulbrood?

Quote Originally Posted by crabbydad View Post
    i went thru my deadouts today. 2 of the hives had a couple frames with dead sealed brood. when i scraped the cap off and dug out the dead larva on a couple, it was black and mushy almost liquid,but not stringy. caps didn't appear sunken. didn't have my camera, may go back in a day or 2 and take a few pics. kinda worried now, would hate to have to burn all my equipment and my hive that is robbing them out. any opinions? i know i can send samples to be checked, just checking to see if anyone has an explanation.
    Hi Crabby! I got your message but could not read it. I think I have popups blocked that cause that, and I am semi-illiterate with computers.

I do not think you have AFB. I wonder if the frames got wet during the winter.

i'm gonna go thru them again and do the toothpick test and look closer for scale. there was no odor at all. i dont think they got wet

If the moosh is not sticky, it is almost certainly not foulbrood. Reserve those frames with dead brood for the second box when the colony is stronger.

what you are describing is a common occurrence in hives that died out in late winter. the brood was simply in an early state of pupation when it froze, the dark almost liquid brood is decomp. a strong hive will clean them up lickity split.

that sounds better. i'm going to go in and double check and take pics in a day or 2.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by philip.devos View Post
    Hi Crabby! I got your message but could not read it. I think I have popups blocked that cause that, and I am semi-illiterate with computers.

I do not think you have AFB. I wonder if the frames got wet during the winter.
    Philip, you should be able to turn off the popup blocker, usually a window will be up top to temporarily allow popups