Default Hello from Newbie in Contra Costa County, CA

After months of lurking and reading, it was time to join the forums.

In the market to buy a house in Contra Costa County, CA. Oakley looks great because it has begun allowing residential beekeeping. Another possibility is the neighboring city of Brentwood whihc appears to allow bee keeping, but remains unconfirmed. The ability to have bees is a factor for buying a house.

Just wanted to say hello to anyone reading and thank you to countless others for sharing their advice and experience on the forums.

Matt

Default Re: Hello from Newbie in Contra Costa County, CA

Welcome from NE Kansas Matt, and good luck on the bee friendly house hunting!
    Brent
    Zone 6a, Started April 2014

Hi Mat,
    Randy the mayor of Oakley is a beekeeping friend. He got it legalized last year.
    I keep hives in Brentwood in AG40 zoning area, but don't know the residential laws.
    We have Residential hives in Concord, which allows beekeeping, 25' from fence.

I know beekeepers in every CCC city, & am a member of Mount Diablo Beekeepers assoc. www.diablobees.org
    I maintain the facebook page if you want to come by, https://www.facebook.com/groups/MtDiabloBeekeepers/
    Dan

Welcome to BeeSource! Good luck with the house hunting and your bees!

Welcome Matt!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Dan,

I saw that article that 2 hives in residential areas were legal, it prompted us to consider expanding search to include Oakley (not just Brentwood.) Brentwood rules for residential areas seems to be a bit grey so far.

TY for suggestion on Mt Diablo Association, we are in San Ramon area currently and it would make hitting the next meeting really convenient.

Do you have a preference for the Concord area or Brentwood as far as bee keeping goes? (Let me know if you ever want a tag along, I would really enjoy seeing a hive up close!)

Matt

Gary, Thank you for the warm welcome and I look forward to reading your posts on the forums!

Matt

Thank you for the welcome. Just browsing your site and bookmarking it. That is a great deal of data on a variety of topics!

Much more in depth than Bee Keeping for Dummies! (Fastest delivered title I could find to learn the basics!)

Matt

Matt.
    You're welcome to go through my hives with me anytime. I have about 20 of them, & there is always one that needs attention.
    I know 3 beekeepers in San Ramon, our club has beekeepers all over the area.
    Dan