Thread: Raising queens

Default Raising queens

Anyone raising queens in their top bar equipment? I haven't raised any before but would like to have viable ready queens if I am able to do splits this spring. I was planning on making a couple little nucs for them to raise the queens prior and then pull the queen off to put in a split. I could also do a split and let them raise one in the split but my season is so short. I wouldn't mind doing some larva transfers but I am chicken, may come to it though.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Raising queens

Queen rearing works fine in a top bar hive. You can either make a frame to take a bar of JZBZ cell cups and graft, or you can make your own wax cups and wax them to a top bar, or you can do the Alley or Smith method and cut a strip of comb and wax it onto a top bar. You also could cut the bottom edges (Miller method) or tear down some cell walls (OTS Queen Rearing aka the Disselkon method).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

How many queens do you need? I did one of Mr. Bush s suggestions last spring. I had a really strong queen in one of my top bars, I took her and a couple of other bars, and placed them in a nuc. The bees left in the main hive proceeded to raise about 9 really nice queen cells. I cut out the cells and put some in my Lang hives, and others in some top bars. All but one made it back from the mating flights. Of course this won t work if you want a bunch of queens.
    16 y, 30 hives ULBN, treat when needed.

Go for it, I am going to give it a try this summer. I figure that the worse thing that will happen is that I will learn something!!!

Thanks for the input. I will likely give it a try after a bit more consideration. Will update.