Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

small hive beetles made it

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  AR Beekeeper 
#1 ·
Just in case you are worried about the wonderful little SHB getting froze out rest assured some made it through winter. Been checking some hives this weekend and killed several sneaking around the top bars. I was hoping the extreme cold would freeze um out.

#7 ·
I've noticed more this year than the same time last year. Last year they were almost non existent until later in May. I think they survive close to or in the cluster where cold is not so much of an issue. We've had them around 5 years and they are not a major problem, but rather a few are here and there on the periphery of the colony.

#13 ·
Tuesday was the first day here warm enough for our mentor to do a really thorough hive inspection, so we came over to "help". He spotted a couple of SHB and gave chase, digging them out of cells they slipped into to hide, using his hive tool.

Kinda reminded me of a police chase with a lot of collateral damage that we've been seeing on TV all day.

Any chance that slender pointy tweezers could do this job without trashing so much comb? I've got a pair right here that could probably stab the little devils even if I can't grab them.

#14 ·
Yes, there are some long thin tipped tweezers that make it easier to kill them. The hive tool looks messy but the bees usually repair the damage quickly.

My problem is, I have the tweezers but can't remember to put them in my work apron!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.