Evans Mills, NY USA Soon back in North Pole Alaska USA

Default Hello From Ft. Drum, NY/ North Pole, AK

Hello, I am looking for info on starting a hive in the North Pole area in Alaska and happened upon this forum. I will be moving back to Alaska in July. And want to start a hive next year. I am looking forward to learning from everyone here.

Default Re: Hello From Ft. Drum, NY/ North Pole, AK

Welcome

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcom! Here is a quote from Chris_Nelson123 made on my welcome thread. Chris is from Alaska and it sounds pretty harsh up there and nearly impossible to overwinter bees!

Quote Originally Posted by chris_nelson123 View Post
    Warmbees, what type of heating device are you using? I have been giving alot of thought about external heat for my bees as well. Living in the Interior of alaska we have winter 8 months out of the year and it is not uncommon to have several days in a row with -45 to -50 degree tempuratures in january and feb. The common practice up here is to harvest all the honey in the fall and kill the bees because they wont survive the winter and then order packaged bees the next spring. I don't want to do that but it is very difficult to winter bees up here. I am just starting out and im am using a top bar hive that I built using plans that someone posted in these forums who lives in canada. However I don't think that will be enough considering our extreme temperatures. I very excited to here you are having success with your heaters and I would like to do the same thing. I don't feel comfortable with killing the bees in the fall, I would rather try to get them through the winter. Keep me posted please.
    Consider contacting Chris_Nelson123 for further dialog from up there.
    Workingtosavetheworld1beeatatime:-)~ Researching winter loss prevention- 12 yrs, 2 recent - 10 Hives, WARMBEES.COM

Quote Originally Posted by vwerich View Post
    Hello, I am looking for info on starting a hive in the North Pole area in Alaska and happened upon this forum. I will be moving back to Alaska in July. And want to start a hive next year. I am looking forward to learning from everyone here.
    Hello, I am going to start my first hive this spring up here in North Pole. When you get here in July let me know so we can link up. I'll also try to keep you posted on my endeavour.