Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: almond bees stolen

H-4-A and N-B guy, proud of you guys.

I'd like to give them swimming lessons with my 30' chain.

Oh, and I have some extra rusty ol barbed-wire laying around here somewhere.

But I'm too far away to do anything.

Git'em.
    Push, Pull, or get Out of the Way

I heard today that a guy out of the Turlock area had his hives shakin over a period of a few nights. My almond grower even heard about KJ buddies hives being stolen! So word of mouth travels fast even through the growers. And Yes, it's very noble of Phil and Keith to offer up their products as a reward to catch these dirtbags.
    Coyote Creek Bees

So, what is the future of pollination if this continues to happen?

Locked gates would help!

I have a fine bridge across Cutbank Creek I would like to sell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    Locked gates would help!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I have a fine bridge across Cutbank Creek I would like to sell you.
    We have had several holding yards and orchards where there were locked gates, sure helped a person sleep better at night.
    Sheri

Overall I would like to think beekeepers are a better group of people than others. Always a few bad apples I guess, no matter what you do or were you are are. I hope he gets lucky and gets his hives back and they catch the ones who stole them.

It seems there are a lot of posts lately about bees stolen. I would suggest start using SPOT GPS tracker If everybody started using it, the thieves would probably be "off the market" by now.

Who is responsible for reimbursing the beekeeper when the hives are out for pollination and a theft happens ? I thought if you rented to a grower it was the growers problem if they were damaged/ killed/ stolen ??

Ben
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada

Calif has 850,000 + acres of almond trees so a guard service would have a lot of ground to cover.
    A friend of mine had a few hives stolen last year, the thief took the hive stands, the bottom boards, the frames, the bees, and the top covers but left the boxes. They had his name painted on them. We looked into RFID tags and they are readly available, quite cheap, easy to install, easy to hide and the handheld readers are getting cheap. You can positivally identify a piece of equipment with them. But the problem is how do you get a reader close to all the boxes out there. There are 1,600,000 hives in the almonds that you would have to locate and scan.
    The one idea that might work is the Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) that boat users have in their boats. They activate when the boat sinks and broadcasts the GPS location. They could be modified to activate only when the pallet or box is moved. They would then broadcast their location as they were moved.
    Just a thought

Thanks for the replies JRG13. I have been thinking...

Do you guys have insurance on your hives? I am not a commercial guy...that's why I am asking this. But that's not what I want to talk about...

Here's something you should look at...I have a tractor and thought about this...this thing will send you a text if whatever you it attached it to...moves. You can see it's location on Google maps. And you can set it for different variables, too. Cost is around $100 plus around $100 a year for a service plan. And it would be a business expense. $200 is pretty good for piece of mind.
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128#

Click on service plans:
    http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=109#Retailer

Instructions:
    http://www.findmespot.com/downloads/...User_Guide.pdf

You would need to place it in a hidden place. It can be mounted under wood...but not metal. A top wooden cover would be perfect. If a few of you guys got these things...you could probably put the thieves out of business with the law, (or in the hospital), depending on how you handle it. Word would get out. You guys should keep each other informed as you get them.

One option...it sits in-active, then when your bees goes missing, you activate it, pay for the days of activation, find your bees, then suspend the activation till next time. Or just buy the full time activation and bee done with it.
    Last edited by Redbug; 03-13-2014 at 07:57 PM.
    I am Dave..."If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Quote Originally Posted by jredburn View Post
    The one idea that might work is the Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) that boat users have in their boats.
    EPIRB? Really!? Why don't you wire it straight to the national emergency broadcast network while you at it. This way they can send national guard when your hives are stolen EPIRB sends a distress signal via satellite to emergency responders around the world (in the US that would be the Coastguard) These units are pretty big. They can not be modified to send a signal when the box is moved. They are only activated manually or when submerged.

You don't need to invent anything in this case. Just use an off the shelf product. SPOT GPS tracker is relatively compact (can be concealed under the cover or a bottom board) is around $100 (you don't need one per hive, just one per location). You sign up for a cheap annual service plan and it will notify you as soon as it starts moving and continue to send position updates so you can track your hives anywhere on the globe (except for South Africa). Yes, the thieves can eventually find it after they move your hives and when they start going though all them. But the idea is to notify you as soon as a hive starts moving. This way you can notify police immediately and keep them apprised about any further movement of your stolen property.

RFID can be handy in identifying your equipment, however if thieves discard boxes it is not going to help you much. Besides, first you need to find stolen property before you can identify it.

@Redbug - We are basically talking about the same thing.
    Last edited by ArtSmart; 03-14-2014 at 07:29 AM.

I hope he is cought and put away and so far back he won't see daylight for the next 100 yrs. I am just a hoppy keeper but he still needs cought.

The noose is getting tighter.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Right on, keep us posted on who the scum bags are!
    Coyote Creek Bees

There was a theft in northern Alberta of quite a few bees by taking a NUC sized number of frames out of hive c/w queen and replacing the frames. It wasn't until the apiary owner was doing the inspections and came across the odd frames that it hit the media.

Another theft potential to be aware of. And I would think it is only be a matter of time to rotate out branded frames.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Sure hope they are caught. Keep us updated,
    IMO,one thing wrong is the courts don't take it that serious.Although it is a lot of money & loss for the beekeeper & family.
    Several years back here where I'm from,There was a farmer that had apple tree farm,Not a real big op-,But he did have afew 100 trees,Anyway he had his own bee's on the site.When some teenage boys thinking it was funny I guess went in & knocked ever one of the hives over,
    They was caught & the farm carried them to court.The judge stated Boys will be boys,Gave them a fine to pay & that was it.
    Guess what? The county got the fine money,But the farmer was still out his bee's.

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    replacing the frames.
    Seems a bit thoughtful for a thief. He could have simply left gaps where the frames went.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Seems a bit thoughtful for a thief. He could have simply left gaps where the frames went.
    This moa used to happen often on sharecrop situations. I once chatted with an AZ beek that banded the frames in to keep the plugs from flying. Interesting way to deter someone you are trusting to give you your "share."

I had five hives stacked out with capped honey supers on a university campus that raised crops. was told I needed to remove the hives since they were in the way of them building a new pond and were stinging the dozer operator pretty bad (these were the small black German bees back in 1983). Went to pick them up and was told we could use their tractor with front end loader. To our surprise someone had come in and robbed all of the honey and returned the wet supers. Was a sad ride home but at least I still had all of the wooden ware and bees.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast