Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default almond bees stolen

572 hives stolen around the Kettelmen city area, blue pallets with brand 35-25. They went missing around the 7th of March. Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Keith Jarrett; 03-10-2014 at 10:03 AM. Reason: wrong month posted
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Default Re: almond bees stolen

Scumbags.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

your hives? :-(

You got some pictures?

Not my bees, but a good friend of mine got his stolen. I will try to get some pics

Too bad there wasn't a hidden trail cam or something. Thievery is among the lowest things and deserves to be punished. I hope it is a mix up ? or they catch the criminals.

Virginia, that is what I was thinking, there are tons of options out there for hidden cameras.

That is an aweful lot of hives taken in one spot! I hope they catch these guys, better yet, I hope the beekeeper catches them first! Simply amazing, pretty soon nobody is going to want to bring their bees to almonds due to the amount of theft, is it time for a security gaurd to be provided by the growers in the contract?
    Coyote Creek Bees

Post some pics if possible. You never know if someone might spot them. Good luck, the stealing this year is the worst ever. It would help if the law would put these guys away for a long time after they are caught, too.

BeeGhost, there was some talk about hiring someone to just drive around all night to keep an eye on things during the pollination. Don't know if that would help or not.Maybe if enough patrols were out and about looking for suspicious activity.

I'm new to beekeeping and certainly don't know anything about the commercial side.

Somebody stealing a hive or a bunch of hives has got to be a beekeeper or someone that knows a lot about bees. What does someone do with stolen hives that have ID's on them? Do these people resell the hives or are they hiding them far away and selling honey later in the season? It seems the hives will be found sooner or later no matter where they are. Is there that big of a black market? I just don't get it.
    I am Dave..."If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

All these hives are being stolen around the area I have all of mine, I'll be going up today to group and ship . I'll keep my eye out for the dirt bags.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    That is an aweful lot of hives taken in one spot! I hope they catch these guys, better yet, I hope the beekeeper catches them first! Simply amazing, pretty soon nobody is going to want to bring their bees to almonds due to the amount of theft, is it time for a security gaurd to be provided by the growers in the contract?
    Our largest grower provides locked gates and has 24 hour security. Private security guards at night are there to watch the growers equipment as well as our hives.
    California Almond Pollination Services, Inc.
    http://www.almondbeepollination.com

Little more info via a link provided to me by a friend:

http://www.kmph-kfre.com/story/24938...-worth-of-bees

Red, typically they move all the frames and bees into new boxes or their own boxes and junk the branded stuff.

Time for all of us to step up to the plate and keep our eyes open. Beyond that we need to get the incentives and disincentives high enough to get this trash to stop.

Seeing how the state of California is really not so inclined to adopt my preferred disincentive of utilizing a valley oak and one very strong used tie down rope I am willing to offer a positive incentive to anyone who helps catch these scoundrels. Not much of a grand gesture compared to the other rewards being offered but I am willing to offer up to 100 queens on me to the first person who provides the adequate information leading to the arrest and conviction of the slime who are perpetrating this or other bee thefts in California. I want the reward high enough that someone is willing to keep their eyes and ears open as well as giving some "associate" balls to get the profundity out of their pockets and into their mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Time for all of us to step up to the plate and keep our eyes open.
    I am willing to offer a positive incentive to anyone who helps catch these scoundrels. Not much of a grand gesture compared to the other rewards being offered but I am willing to offer up to 100 queens on me to the first person who provides the adequate information leading to the arrest and conviction of the slime.
    Well said, Phil. I will match that also, with a pallet of sub shipped to your door step for info on the where abouts of Paul's hives.

It's going to be a sad day when beekeepers have to put lo-jacks on their hives to make sure they don't walk away.

Terribly sorry for those that are getting hives stolen, its bad enough you have to contend with CCD.

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Red, typically they move all the frames and bees into new boxes or their own boxes and junk the branded stuff.
    Thank you JRG. I understand now. That's pretty bad to go to those lengths for someone's bees. That's like cattle rustling.
    I am Dave..."If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Some of that is assumption Red, mostly they're trying to get bees to fill pollination contracts. Otherwise I'd assume they head straight out of California with the bees where no one is going to recognize the boxes or brands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast