Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Main Nectar Flow Clues in Northern California/Sacramento Area

Regarding honey production in this dry year... I am in Marin and have very mixed results. My backyard hives in southern Marin that typically produce 2-3 mediums of honey this year range from none (and feeding them) to 2 (right next door to the one I'm feeding!). Most have less than one full super. I have several hives in rural west Marin that had no surplus until the last several weeks when they started bringing in what I believe is buckwheat nectar (a dark color), though they have less than a full super each. I have been giving the hives a pollen patty, some have been devouring it and others pretty much leave it alone.

I did get a decent spring honey crop, but nothing special. Overall hives are in OK shape for winter but definitely need attention and feeding as necessary.

Its looking like I might get a couple buckets max from 14 hives this year. I'll need to do some feeding this fall.
    Didn't feel the quake, a friend in Napa lost several antiques off shelves, & had a shelf fall on his car.
    Dan

I got a box of capped honey on any full size hive, had to feed anything under 10 frames but the bees look good. Urban hives in Elk Grove put up a deep and three mediums for the year each.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12