Default Ideal TBH volume

Has any research been done on the ideal TBH volume? Length seems to be relative to the issue of volume, as does width and height. A 4 foot hive 10" wide is much less volume than a 3 foot hive 20" wide, etc. for height.

I live in Victoria, Texas along the coast The winters are mild, the summers get above 100 on some days

Im planning to build some new hives. I have been using Les Crowder's plans and they seem to be working, but i only have 1 year of experience. I would like to try a straight sided Tanzinian hive, but can't find much on dimensions for South Texas.

But my real question is about ideal volume to retard swarms, accommodate heavy honey flow, but still allow for hive health through heating, cooling, and ventilation design considerations. I plan to use follower boards like I do now to expand the space as the swarms I catch grow in size. But is there an ideal maximum hive volume? Relative to volume, is there an ideal width and depth because lenght can be adjusted through follower boards to expand to ideal volume?

I know local climate impacts hive design. Is there an ideal height and width for my climate?

Thanks!

TxBeek

Default Re: Ideal TBH volume

How about you standard langstroth 2deep 2 medium as a starting point roughly 5 cubic feet inside volume.

I have never used Langstroth hives, so I wasn't aware of the 5 cubit foot standard. Thanks.

But is that for beekeeper convenience and standardization, or derived from studying bees?

I may be overthinking this, but still curious about an optimal volume goal and height/width starting point.

txbeek. Tom Seeley has done all the work. If you have an hour here he is lecturing on the subject. In short, the answer is yes that is the size bees prefer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKitNHCDQJk

Thanks!!! I definitely have an hour.

Is 5 cubic feet the correct number? For a four foot hive made of 1x10" dimensional lumber I calculate that out to be roughly 2.75 cubic feet. A five foot hive of the same lumber would be 3.4 cubic feet. These are the Les Crowder plans I'm talking about here.

One 10 frame deep would be 1.5 cubic feet.
    Last edited by jwcarlson; 03-12-2014 at 08:40 AM.