Default Update: Easy feeder/pest control

Small hive beetles are beginning to build in numbers. One jar trap had over a dozen. The beetles don't know how to get up past the funnel once they go down to the bait. I bait my traps with a piece of honey comb, including pollen, and drizzle a bit of honey over it. As a bee feeder, the system continues to work great. No removing roofs or top bars is nice, especially when feeding at night, which I have to do with one hive since feeding during the day seems to stimulate robbing by other bees. I'll update again later in the spring. http://imgur.com/a/3YTzK

Default Re: Update: Easy feeder/pest control

What keeps bees from dying in the beetle traps, or beetles feeding from the feeder? Or maybe this is a dumb question

TxBeek

Not a dumb question. Thanks for asking. When I want to turn a feeder into a trap, I place a funnel into the jar mouth and a screened lid over that before screwing the jar back in. That keeps the bees out and traps the beetles that get in. If you click on the link in my post above and scroll through the pictures, you'll see how I made them. When I use a jar as a feeder, I place plastic screen inside the jar and pieces of wood as floats. I cover all the jars with light blocking sleeves. Beetles can still feed when the bees feed, but I suspect as the colony gets stronger in the spring I'll find more beetles being chased into traps (at least that's the idea).

Thanks. So the beetles can get through window screen, or what size screen do you use?

It's gutter screen that I've had for some years, 1/8, I think.

txbeek, I added three photos to my album. One shows the trap backlit so you can see the funnel. Another shows beetles in the trap after I unscrewed it, and the third shows a feeder after the bees have emptied it.

That's great feeder, what are the measurements of that pest control feeder? I might try building projects like that, but this time a trap for rats. pest control NY

Sorry for the late reply, louiedonovan55. I've been very busy and rarely online this summer. The pest control and feeder jars are just wide mouth mason jars. Everything is based on canning supplies you can get at a grocery store or a dollar store.

How are the rings attached to the hive bottom? Are they in the holes, glued to the bottom over the holes? I can't see from the pictures.
    TxBeek. KTBHs. Victoria, Tx. along the Gulf coast. Zone 9b.
    Treatment free bees from traps and cutouts.

I just used small nails and screws. They're up against the bottom board aligned with the holes. I'll add a picture to make it clearer.

Thank you Jon Wolff for the very clear and detailed pictures with explanation sets on your link. Very ingenious idea and well detailed sharing for the rest of us.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I echo Ray. Thanks for the update and sharing.

I may try and find a hole saw of the right size so I can inset the rings in the holes so nothing protrudes when I move my hives in and out of my pickup. My hives do not have attached legs but sit on molasses tubs or homemade hive stands like Wyatt Magnum uses. Protruding rings will get bent or crushed in my system.

You're both welcome. I really want to beat the beetles and create something simple, cheap, and easy to use. My philosophy is that as a community we can find a solution to any problem if we work together and I wanted to share what I've come up with in the hopes others can benefit from it. I've used it for almost a year and so far I can't find any drawbacks. It's doing its job and is extremely convenient, whether I'm using it as a trap or a feeder. The hive in the picture is the only one with five holes. I've found that fewer work just as well.

TxBeek, would it be too much trouble to add 2x2's on either side of the rings, creating a bumper of sorts to protects them? I'm just thinking it might be hard to find a hole saw just the right diameter for the rings.

Even if the hole saw was slightly larger, I could glue them in with silicone or gorilla glue or epoxy. Might as well try some experimenting

Great job! I'll bet that the trap jars would work in a standard langstoth hive by just setting them on an inner cover and under an empty super. I'll probably give it a trial.

I agree that we can learn to control hive beetles by trying and sharing new approaches .

I am currently trying some double screened bottom boards with fine mesh on the bottom and course on the top. The idea being that any larva that do hatch out in the hive get trapped in the space between and die instead of completing their life cycle. They also dry up instead of fermenting into evil potion. It seems to be working. It also keeps adult beetles from just waltzing in through the bottom.

I think people would be surprised at how many larva actually hatch out unseen in a strong healthy hive.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Btw 2 3/4 hole saw is a perfect tight fit, and can be bought off the shelf anywhere.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

David, I don't see why you couldn't use the system for Langstroths. I wonder if you could adapt the bottom to sit on a stand. But if your current double screen method is doing the job, you may not need anything else on the bottom.

I just googled hole saws and found that there is also a 3 1/2, which is the size canning rings I use. TxBeek, looks like you won't need to use any silicon. I might try recessed rings on a hive just for kicks. It might be better to have the screened lid flush with the floor for those of us who use follower boards, although having pits along the floor may aid in catching beetles.