Default Update: Easy feeder/pest control

Small hive beetles are beginning to build in numbers. One jar trap had over a dozen. The beetles don't know how to get up past the funnel once they go down to the bait. I bait my traps with a piece of honey comb, including pollen, and drizzle a bit of honey over it. As a bee feeder, the system continues to work great. No removing roofs or top bars is nice, especially when feeding at night, which I have to do with one hive since feeding during the day seems to stimulate robbing by other bees. I'll update again later in the spring. http://imgur.com/a/3YTzK

Default Re: Update: Easy feeder/pest control

What keeps bees from dying in the beetle traps, or beetles feeding from the feeder? Or maybe this is a dumb question

TxBeek

Not a dumb question. Thanks for asking. When I want to turn a feeder into a trap, I place a funnel into the jar mouth and a screened lid over that before screwing the jar back in. That keeps the bees out and traps the beetles that get in. If you click on the link in my post above and scroll through the pictures, you'll see how I made them. When I use a jar as a feeder, I place plastic screen inside the jar and pieces of wood as floats. I cover all the jars with light blocking sleeves. Beetles can still feed when the bees feed, but I suspect as the colony gets stronger in the spring I'll find more beetles being chased into traps (at least that's the idea).

Thanks. So the beetles can get through window screen, or what size screen do you use?

It's gutter screen that I've had for some years, 1/8, I think.

txbeek, I added three photos to my album. One shows the trap backlit so you can see the funnel. Another shows beetles in the trap after I unscrewed it, and the third shows a feeder after the bees have emptied it.

That's great feeder, what are the measurements of that pest control feeder? I might try building projects like that, but this time a trap for rats. pest control NY