Thread: Need new queen

Default Need new queen

I did a 5 frame nuc split 2 days ago and now I want to try and requeen it but I can find any apiaries in NorCal that have queens available for months.... Does anybody know of good source that is shipping queens now?

Default Re: Need new queen

I am on Northern California and prefer local but open to anything at this point.... My hive in Dublin is carni's....

Hi
    I'm raising some queens now, but I'm not a commercial beekeeper, just novice. The queens are mated in an open yard with Carni & Italian mixed hives. Just not sure if you want to risk that. Or another solution is to let the bees make their own. Check the split in a 8 days or so and you might find your self some queen cells. Let me know what you think.

Aren't you jumping the gun a little without finished cells or queens in hand? Next time you might want to wait about two weeks.

We have cells going into the nucs for the first time in 2014 on the 12th. So far just a little over 4500 grafted. Should be way over 5k after today.

Queens........... Well that's another story.Your 20 days out at least. Its way to early for any CA queens right now and most everyone is booked through April with some into May.
    Last edited by Honey-4-All; 03-08-2014 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Add info

Quote Originally Posted by Calbears94 View Post
    I did a 5 frame nuc split 2 days ago and now I want to try and requeen it but I can find any apiaries in NorCal that have queens available for months..
    Let them raise their own.
    Regards, Barry

Yup, need to have a queen ordered and shipped before making a split next time, or put a frame of eggs/larva in and let them make their own, and make sure to brush in plenty of nurse bees off the brood frames to take care of that frame of larva/eggs as well. Remember, the nuc might look like its well populated but a lot of the bees may be foragers and return to the parent hive leaving a very weak nuc which you might end up losing.
    Coyote Creek Bees

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Buzzy Bee View Post
    Hi
    I'm raising some queens now, but I'm not a commercial beekeeper, just novice. The queens are mated in an open yard with Carni & Italian mixed hives. Just not sure if you want to risk that. Or another solution is to let the bees make their own. Check the split in a 8 days or so and you might find your self some queen cells. Let me know what you think.
    How soon will they be avail?? I am open to new gene pool....

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGhost View Post
    Yup, need to have a queen ordered and shipped before making a split next time, or put a frame of eggs/larva in and let them make their own, and make sure to brush in plenty of nurse bees off the brood frames to take care of that frame of larva/eggs as well. Remember, the nuc might look like its well populated but a lot of the bees may be foragers and return to the parent hive leaving a very weak nuc which you might end up losing.
    I know I moved the frames to the Nuc to help with swarm prevention and I was going to let then raise thier own queen.... But then I thought new queen with new genes might be good idea that's why looking for queen but none avail now..... First time doing this so I learned that lesson....

I wouldn't sweat it, if they raise their own, they do it, if not, just recombine if you can't find a queen and try again in a couple weeks. Honey 4 All is about spot on for timing right now. Although I've had drones since January, mating flights would've been sketchy last 4-6 weeks.

Good point and if no queen created I will add back...

They should be available next Friday thru sunday, then a couple or a few days to take the mating flights. Should have them some time in two weeks.

Let me know in 2 weeks and if no queen crEated I would be interested....you can email me direct if you want....

sounds good