Default Hi From Connecticut

Hello. My name is John. I'm brand new to beekeeping, although have been considering it for some time now (more on why/how later). I love all things outdoors, particularly fishing (mainly saltwater), gardening, travelling etc. 3 years ago I started Sugaring, starting with a cinder block fire pit graduating to a 4X2 evaporator - enough maple syrup to feed my family, friends, and neighbors. So it makes perfect sense to begin another hobby outside, one that is mutually beneficial to some of my other hobbies. I have two young boys who also love the idea. The wife thinks I'm nuts.

I am in the process of starting with two hives. I have been reading a lot. But I am a little unsure of the frame style. A friend is using SG style, but I was curious if there is some advice on which style to use?

So, how did I beekeeping as a hobby peak my interest? My former employer brought to market the first "next generation genome sequencer", which enabled cheaper and faster sequencing of genomes than the first generation (originally used in the human genome project at a very high cost and very slow). One of the genomes we sequenced was the honeybee. In 2007, a group published findings utilizing data from pooled populations of bee colonies which we sequenced on our equipment which discovered a possible link between CCD and the IAPV (Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus). In 2009, another study, was published on Nosema Ceranae highlighting its move from the Asian Honeybee (Apis Cerana) to the European Honeybee (Apis Mellifera). Being close to the operations, it was very interesting to me and the more I learned, the more intrigued I became. And seeing the steady decline of the Honeybee over the years, it seemed like a great way to do something useful and rewarding.

I look forward to spending some time watching and learning from the bees and from members here.

Best,
    John

Default Re: Hi From Connecticut

Welcome john. I am also in CT. Good hobby to have, especially with the boys.

Good luck with your new endeavor. By far this is the best site for information related to beekeeping. Welcome.

welcome John...before you know it your wife will bee in the hives too... :-)

Welcome John!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com