Default building hogan trap out

I built a hogan trap out box the other day with a deep box , and since my equipment now is all mediums I had planned on using medium frames in it. But after putting in the transition it looks like way to much space for them to come into the transition which is on the bottom and then climb up to the med. frames .I wanted to be able to just remove the frames from the trap and put them in a med .super and be done , I'd have all the bee's and any eggs and stores that they built up . Should I use deep frames and shake the bee's into medium box's , this seems like the only way as my medium foundation won't be at the right height if I expect the queen to walk out on to it .Or I could move the transition up higher so it lines up better with my med. frames .seems like it would be best to be able to just remove frames and put them in another box at the bee yard compared to shaking them off the deep frames . Need imput .
    Last edited by laketrout; 03-09-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Default Re: building hogan trap out

I'd move the transition up. But the bees will climb anyhow.

Cajunbee , that seems like the easiest way to go but now I'm wondering about all the burr comb there going to make on the bottom of the frames . What if I just use a med super instead will it be big enough , if not I could put a second med. on top , everything will line up better transferring frames will be easier .
    Last edited by laketrout; 03-09-2014 at 09:56 AM.

I would think a medium box would be fine. How big is the cavity your trapping them from? Most of the places I'm finding them (In houses and such), they are in a space not nearly as cavernous as a deep box. And yes, you could always add a second med on top.
    I know several people use mediums as swarm traps.

Cajun , I think the obvious was staring me in the face and I just didn't see at first . I got to thinking the swarm harvesting that Cleo designed for Kelly was a nuc box so the 10 frame medium should be fine . I'm making swarm traps also and like the idea of a deep size for them as some scout bee's will turn down a smaller size and I carried it over to the trap out box.