Default Are 3 boxes to much room for brood

In my strong hive I was running 2 10 frame deeps and I couldn't get the bees to move past the extruder into the honey super all year. I posted the question on here and one of the recommendations was to put the shallow between the 2 deeps for a week to force the bees to move into it. Need less to say the rain came do I didn't want to bother the hive so a month later I finally checked yesterday and the queen had filled all 10 frames with broad... So I have 2 deeps and 1 shallow now full of bees and broad... I pulled 3 frames out yesterday to start a nuc and added a honey super ... I checked today and they have already moved into honey super too.... Are the 3 boxes too much room or will this help make a strong honey hive?

Default Re: Are 3 boxes to much room for broad

It depends on what result you want. That much brood will make a strong hive with lots of foragers. If the increased population occurs during your nectar flow, you and your bees stand to profit from it. On the other hand, you can make more splits and expand, or sell them. Depending on your situation you could do some splitting and still make honey, but I don't know what your local conditions are. More bees is usually a good thing if they have plenty to feed on.

This hive swarmed on my last year and the year before almost died out so I have never gotten honey out of it in 3 years... Honey production is my goal and I am added a 2nd hive at my Dublin location.... My thought was that foragers are good and I can always split next year???

If you don't give them more room or split them they will swarm again.
    One of my hives was 7 mediums last summer. Never too much brood, but often not enough space.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KQ6AR View Post
    If you don't give them more room or split them they will swarm again.
    One of my hives was 7 mediums last summer. Never too much brood, but often not enough space.
    That is what I am worried about so the extra room is good..... I checkerboarded about a month ago and then pulled 3 more frames yesterday.... I can't think of anything else I just want then to produce finally....

In your checkerboarding was it done in the honey super. brood nest or both?

I did the checkerboarding in both supers.....they filled everything in a month including the shallow I put in the middle...

I prefer 3 deep boxes. Go to Micheal Bushes site and look here http://www.bushfarms.com/beesulbn.htm

Clay

Okay that makes sense and the hive is the strongest it has ever been..... Have you seen an increase in honey flow?? With the extra room do they swarm less?

You can't give them too much space at this time of year. We are in a honey flow & you're queen sounds awesome.
    Dan

Default Re: Are 3 boxes to much room for brood

I agree they swarmed on me last year but this new queen is awesome....

>>Have you seen an increase in honey flow??

Thats a loaded question really. They could make more honey depending on the year. I think the important part is that the 3rd box is a food chamber, its not yours its theres. The only time your take from it is to open up the 5 center combs for the queen if needed. Leave it alone if u don't have late flows in your area. This ensures heavy hives going into winter with quality pollen and honey stores that shy away from artificial feeds. You see people scrambling in the fall to get there bees fed for winter, why??? I hate breaking out feeders and all the extra work to back feed. Then you have to consider if you have to feed them did you subract what you fed back from honey produced? Is that hive still your best producer? Well theres allot that could be said here but i'll leave it at that.

>>With the extra room do they swarm less?

There are 2 types of swarming in my POV. Congestion/ nectar management and reproductive swarming. I think that ULBN really goes a very long way to reducing congestion/ nectar management (yes I do reverse also) and a few other things. Reproductive swarming it much tougher to manage as it has much to do with the genetics and inclinations of the colony. There are many books out there to deal with this, Snellgrove has a nice little book on swarming.

Clay

One things always guaranteed with bees. Someone will split the hive eventually. Either you or them lol.

Bees always work up in the hive. The bottom probly does not have any brood in it. Put that box on top and the queen will move up and start laying in it. It may be nessary to do this a secod time before the honey flow starts. Put your supper on and leave the queen excluter off. The bee will not draw new comb until you there is a honey flow.
    Beekeeper 15 years.....6 hives.......T (oav)

Thanks for advice guys... Also when I did the checkerboarding about a month ago I already reversed both the deeps.....