Default Ohio Beekeepers - Check Your Hive Weights

Today was warm enough for flying weather so I checked on my colonies this afternoon. I was very pleased to find 100% survival. But I was also alarmed that 100% of the hives were light as a feather when I lifted the backs up. Most of the colonies went into winter with 3 mediums, and they were all very well packed with stores. This winter has been brutal and it's showing up in how much they have consumed.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be a rain / snow mix, but Sunday looks sunny and in the 40's. Time to get some sugar on all the hives. If we can keep them going a few more weeks we'll be close to syrup weather. Almost to the finish line, but the home stretch is critical.

If you are in Ohio and have not checked your hive weights recently I strongly suggest you do. It would be a shame to lose hives to starvation so close to spring.
    To everything there is a season....

Default Re: Ohio Beekeepers - Check Your Hive Weights

two cups of water and ten pounds of sugar make a nice sludge with no heating and will dry into fragile plates in a few days or I put the sugar in Dixie paper soup bowls and gently turn them upside down on the cluster. When it is syrup time in a few weeks, just melt the left overs if any. Too easy for some.

Are you suggesting mountain camp sugar method?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Today was warm enough for flying weather so I checked on my colonies this afternoon. I was very pleased to find 100% survival. But I was also alarmed that 100% of the hives were light as a feather when I lifted the backs up. Most of the colonies went into winter with 3 mediums, and they were all very well packed with stores. This winter has been brutal and it's showing up in how much they have consumed.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be a rain / snow mix, but Sunday looks sunny and in the 40's. Time to get some sugar on all the hives. If we can keep them going a few more weeks we'll be close to syrup weather. Almost to the finish line, but the home stretch is critical.

If you are in Ohio and have not checked your hive weights recently I strongly suggest you do. It would be a shame to lose hives to starvation so close to spring.

Mountain Camp would work. I have sugar blocks made up, similar to what Vance described. I mix enough water into the sugar to dampen it just enough so that it compacts. Then I press it into a single rubber muffin mold I have, and turn them out onto a cookie sheet to dry. They make nice little round blocks of sugar that can be placed right on the top bars.

I did some of mine today. Lost three in the last three weeks. I know next year they all will have a modified candy board on them going into winter.
    David

Same here in Dayton. 100% survival, but the only hives with any weight were two that I left extra supers on in the fall. The hives that were just two deeps were out of stores. They were eagerly getting after the fondant patties I laid on.

Maple and henbit are just about ready to pop here. Home stretch in Ohio!

Pretty much the same here, all made it through. Saw some bees hauling in some really light colored pollen. Using up the last of some winter patties now. Surprised how well they actually over-wintered considering how hard a winter it was.

SE Ohio here. Some light pollen or grain dust coming in. All hives running on E though by weight. One hive has spent the entire winter on the top bars sitting on candy and did fine. Lost one nuc this week. It was started at the end of July as a single frame of brood given to a queenless fallen tree hive I rescued. They pulled 5 frames in the bottom nuc and only 2 in the top. They had plenty of honey left, not sure why they died. But it was my only loss so i am happy so far. 5 hives, 3 nucs left. Going to do OA treatment for the first time ever today.

First year and both hives made it through the worst of the winter.Beautiful day yesterday and the girls were out enjoying the first nice weather in months.

Put fondant in the hives last month and checked yesterday.Still some capped honey and plenty of sugar.Added pollen subsitute hope to get a good early build going to make some splits.

Hives were nucs from late june that built up to double deep size.We left all the honey hoping the hives would come out of winter strong.Looks like we had a little beginners luck!

I am just across the state line near I-80 and I had activity yesterday as well. I seen a fair amount of bees in and out of the hive and using the top ent to the candy board that i put on in November.

Quote Originally Posted by RJI_1968 View Post
    using the top ent to the candy board that i put on in November.
    Have you checked to see if there is anything left of the candy board?

I opened up some of mine today and added sugar blocks. They were all clustered on the top bars. Pretty feisty too, they gave me a warm welcome when I pulled the top off.

Can't wait until we have some nice weather so I can pull some frames and see what's going on in there.

I can see there is still some left looking through the 3/4 hole I drilled for the top ent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    Have you checked to see if there is anything left of the candy board?

I opened up some of mine today and added sugar blocks. They were all clustered on the top bars. Pretty feisty too, they gave me a warm welcome when I pulled the top off.

Can't wait until we have some nice weather so I can pull some frames and see what's going on in there.

I have lost 17 of 30

I have only lost one colony and that was back in January. I have some fondant on the top bars of all hives most are eating at least a little, only one is hitting it hard.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by wadehump View Post
    I have lost 17 of 30
    Ouch!!! That has to really hurt, what a bummer. Have you figured out what happened?

At the house over here in Canton, two are out of stores and have been eating the dry sugar that was placed on top of the frames way back in November. The other two still have a box of honey, including one that is a three-high, six frame hive that was small at the end of last season and I figured would never make it through a normal winter, let alone the one that's now coming to an end. In the hives where the bees are in the top, I am curious if the end frames are still full of honey or if they have cleared out those stores too as they moved up. No way to know, I guess, until we get a little bit of sustained warmth around here.

I lost 5 hives and a Nuc Now have left over honey and pollen, The hive that is left is working the dead hive next to it lot of bees coming and going is great to see the bees flying. Now waiting on new packages to show up 30 April and 1 May. Until then SHOULD the dead hives be pulled and have plastic installed in between boxes to keep the moths out until packages arrive? What should i do with the left over pollen ,honey feed to new packages? With the built comb the new packages should take off pretty fast so hoping to have those 5 hives plus a swarm or two up and running this year that is my plan keeping my fingers crossed for a better 2nd year than the first.