Default Lost my first hive.

I went out today w/ my stethoscope to listen and of my two colonies, it was the bigger of the two that has died - probably in the past week. They were trying to keep new brood and the queen warm and I think froze trying. I'm dealing w/ it (I cried the whole time I cleaned up).

My question is this, can I use a frame of fondant that hadn't even been touched in another colony? I've washed the frame (there were some feces on the sides (probably six(6) places) I can also wipe it down w/ alcohol But is it safe to use the frame of food in another colony? I'm afraid of Nosema which the little colony shows no symptoms of. We're in New Hampshire and have had sub-zero temps for the past few weeks. It's about 40 degrees F right now and I'd like to get some food into my little colony if it isn't dangerous.

Thanks for listening. c

Default Re: Lost my first hive.

I would not count them out until the weather warms up. A really quiet hive might not be discernable with a stethoscope. They may even look dead, but many people have shaken what they thought were dead bees out in the snow only to have the sun wake them up... When it's 50 F or 60 F they should be flying if they are alive.

I wouldn't worry about giving the resources to another hive. But that is me. Some people would insist on disinfecting everything.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've got two that i suspect to be dead, but I'm waiting for some warmer weather to be sure. We are also at 40deg today and some bees are flying, but they are not staying out for very long. I'm waiting to open them up until we see around 50degrees.

I wouldn't hesitate to feed your other hive with the leftovers, but I'm not real big on worrying about stuff.

Thanks for responding. I've cleaned up the frame and the fondant is clean as a whistle. Unfortunately, these are definitely gone - hundreds (thousand?) of bees on the bottom board. Again, thanks. c

I have lost 17 of 30 so far

Quote Originally Posted by wadehump View Post

Wow, sad to here.

Mystery-
    I have two hives- as of two weeks ago they were alive- went to check yesterday and- I think one of them is dead- didn't really go in- just raised the lid and inner cover- bees were there but no movement. The mystery part is - I raised the mouse guard to clean out the bottom so if the bees wanted to do a cleansing flight - they weren't blocked in by dead bees. There were no bees on the bottom- but there was a sticky residue. My tool got stuck to it-there is no way that the bees could have got out of the bottom. Mid- February bees were active and up top- we put in granulated sugar on newspaper just under the inner cover. That was gone- but what caused the sticky residue at the bottom? I'm hoping I'm wrong and the hive is not dead. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by wadehump View Post
    Wow. So sorry to hear it. Was it the cold? or starvation or both? Went into my little colony yesterday - and they are alive - still small but industrious and hopefully now we won't get any more -10 or colder degrees F temperatures. Wish I could lend you a hand. Losing even one colony is devastating. c