Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Bees returned to the old location.

Quote Originally Posted by visar09 View Post
    @acebird They are around 500 bees..You say to put the box and transfer the box,beside the hive in the new location or to put them by super in the hive??
    What about combining this bees with another hive??
    Thank you!!
    I would set a super in the old location just before dark, let the bees go in, block the entrance after dark, tomorrow morning I'd move the super to the new location by setting the super on top of the hive. If they go back to the old location again just do it again. Good luck and keep us posted as to how it goes.

As long as the weather is nice the bees will sort it out in 24 hours. If the weather is going to be cold at night, I don't move hives... I don't want them caught out in the cold. If you have moved them and it may be cold, put a box at the old location near dark, and after dark put it on top of the hive at the new location.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Rosies View Post
    tomorrow morning I'd move the super to the new location by setting the super on top of the hive.
    I mentioned shaking the bees into the new hive location because there are only 500 bees. That is like two cups or less. I would put the box on the hive at the new location if there were 1500-2000 bees.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Hello Guys.
    I shaked the bees at my new location,but they returned back to the old location.What I should do??
    I am thinking of creating a new hive..

If the weather is warm enough to wait it out, most should drift back to the hive. That is what I did last year, but it was nice weather, it took about 1 week for the bees to learn the new hive location. I am sure I lost a few bees.
    I guess it would be possible to make a new colony if you can get a new queen right away. If you decide to try it I would treat it like a new package. Leave the new queen in a queen cage for a few days for the bees to get used to her and feed them suger syrup. I have never tried this with lost bees, so I am not sure how well it would work. Is it possible to get a mated queen today? More experienced beekeepers than I am may have better ideas, anyway I wish you good luck and welcome to beesource.

Quote Originally Posted by visar09 View Post
    Hello Guys.
    I shaked the bees at my new location,
    Did you shake them inside the hive or outside the hive? Maybe too much time has passed and they no longer have the smell of the queen they came from.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Did you make or purchase those hive stands?
    If purchased from whom and if made how did you do it?
    I like the idea of them

Quote Originally Posted by dynemd View Post
    So, you put a big branch in front of the entrance... right?
    Attachment 9490
    And then you read Michael Bushes instructions carefully Click Link
    "Some field bees will return to the old location. Most will not. The ones that do will circle until they find the new location and then will be fine after that."
    "You can check in the evening before dark and see if any are clustering at the old location. If so, put a super there and they will move into it and you can move them after dark again. I have never had any clustered there by the next day and seldom had any at all."
    Leaving a box at the old location is another of those complicated things. If you leave one from the start they all return and just stay there. If you leave nothing at the old location they will look for the new location, but some may get stuck at the old location. If you wait until just before dark to put a box there you will motivate them to find the new location, but still give them somewhere to go. You can move that to the new location, and in warm weather, just set it beside the hive. In cold weather you may need to put this box on top, but that’s not a pleasant thing to do in the dark."
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I "borrowed" that picture from the internet and I can't find it again but it looks like a Dadant stand. LINK
    M00698-Metal-hive-stand.jpg

I tried all guys.I shaked them 3-4 times to the new location and they still returned to the old location.I don't know what to do now.
    I send there a super and the bees are there.Any idea???

Do not shake them anywhere. Put them in or on the hive they belong in. Shaking them out always results in them taking flight and taking flight results in a trip back to the old location... Do not put anything at the old location and they will look for the hive. Put a box a the old location and they will move into the box. You wan them to find the new hive so don't put a box at the old location. At least not until dark. If you do put a box there, then put that box on top of the hive at the new location after dark (wear equipment as bees are not happy in the dark...).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

i had good results the first five times i tried short moves using the branch method. the foragers would go back and check out the old location but by day's end they find their way back to the new location or perhaps drift into one of my other hives.

my sixth attempt was three days ago and didn't go as well. i usually keep 12 hives in a row on permanent stands but this year i overwintered an extra hive on a temporary stand at the very end of the row. on saturday i relocated that extra hive to a permanent position in the middle of the row to take the space of a hive that was lost this winter. the foragers from the moved hive ended up joining the now first hive in the row thinking it was theirs.

today i took that end hive with all of the foragers and the one moved on saturday and swapped their positions in hopes the numbers will equal out a bit. i may have to swap them again.

it was very obvious that most of the field force had defected by watching the activity at the entrances compared to what it had been prior to the move. the timing couldn't have been worse as my colonies are rebuilding their numbers coming out of winter and are just starting to have brood emerge.

the branch method works good. my mistake was having something there that resembled the old location too much, lesson learned.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

If you want to start a new hive at the new location then let them fly back to the old hive location with the old queen.
    The new hive will need extra nurse bees so take a few frames of nurse bees from the other hives to
    brush them into the new hive location. If you can go get a new queen then put her inside this new hive with the nurse bees.
    I usually mini caged her overnight inside the new hive before releasing her the next day depending on how the worker bees reacting to her. If you don't have an extra queen now then put a frame of eggs/young larvae for the new hive to raise some. Now you don't have the headache of worrying about the old bees flying back. And feed them well too. What is your season now?
    Gratefulness is the key to a happy lifeIf we are not grateful then we will not be happy since we always want something +

I moved 3 hives up the hill last Wednesday night. Had a lot of bees with pollen looking quite homeless the next day at the old location. I put a stand there, grabbed an empty nuc with drawn comb and put it on the stand about where the old hives were, the bees went pouring in so I grabbed a frame with bees, eggs, larvae, and nectar from the closest hive there and stuck it in the new nuc for the first split of the season. Got a nice queencell capped when I checked today and another in the works, now I just gotta get the nuc out of there and take it to another outyard to get mated and so no one gets lost again.

as expected the hive that was in the middle of the row that was moved to the end yesterday now has all the foragers coming and going, and the one that was moved from the end to the middle has very few.

i figure the one that is now in the middle should be in good shape since it has had a double force of field bees for the past three days, and the one that is now on the end should catch up nicely.

my biggest concern is that we're going to get cold tomorrow night and cool on thursday and the one that is now in the middle has less bees in it.

i'll see how things go and keep reversing positions until there is good foraging seen in both hives. if one ends up weaker and one stronger i'll consider adding a frame of emerging brood from the stronger to the weaker one.

we've had a few good flying days, and the hive that was originally on the end that is now in the middle of the row has a decent number of foragers coming and going. i took a peek inside and saw close to five deep frames of bees in there. i think they will be alright and i'm not going to switch locations again. interestingly, this hive had some drones hatched out already putting them ahead of all the rest in this regard. unfortunately for these drones the sudden loss in population resulted in their eviction.

the one that is now on the end and has the doubled field force is going like gang busters and got another super added yesterday. we'll see how things go and perhaps give a frame of capped brood and covering bees from this one back to the other hive in a few weeks.

i checked on these two colonies today. the one on the end that inherited the extra foragers (which was a strong one to begin with) is working into the third medium super over a single deep. and i added a fourth super and the top three supers are checkerboarded. the colony that lost its foragers has 4 to 5 frames of bees in the deep with a lot of capped brood and they haven't moved up into the supers yet. if they can keep the brood warm and once it emerges they should take off.

If you have time,

Take a piece of bur comb, put it at the old site. The bees will land on that comb. Walk them over to the new location. I used my bee box once. Bur comb seems to work better. A bit time consuming, but it works.

Shane