Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bees returned to the old location.

Hello!

I am a new beekeper from Albania.
    I move my bees for 100 yard distance,and I applied the method that Michael Bush has write.
    I blocked the entrance and let the bees 3 days blocked,with ventilation.I put a branch in front of the entrance.
    When I opened the hive,some of my bees returned to the old location.They are waiting there.
    I don't know whatto do with them.I want to get them in my new hive.
    Please help me.

Default Re: Bees returned to the old location.

So, you put a big branch in front of the entrance... right?
    Beehive Moving.jpg
    And then you read Michael Bushes instructions carefully Click Link
    "Some field bees will return to the old location. Most will not. The ones that do will circle until they find the new location and then will be fine after that."
    "You can check in the evening before dark and see if any are clustering at the old location. If so, put a super there and they will move into it and you can move them after dark again. I have never had any clustered there by the next day and seldom had any at all."
    Leaving a box at the old location is another of those complicated things. If you leave one from the start they all return and just stay there. If you leave nothing at the old location they will look for the new location, but some may get stuck at the old location. If you wait until just before dark to put a box there you will motivate them to find the new location, but still give them somewhere to go. You can move that to the new location, and in warm weather, just set it beside the hive. In cold weather you may need to put this box on top, but that’s not a pleasant thing to do in the dark."

It sounds like you tried everything I can suggest to help. I never had any luck moving hives a short distance, it confused the bees too much. Sorry I do not have any advice, but I wish you good luck.

Thank you guys.What if I put them in a new hive,and I send them a queen and some brood,polen,honey frames.
    What's your idea?To make a new hive or to send them to the hive that have been before??

I would say no to the new hive. They are foragers. Wait it out or put the box there so you can transfer them to the new location. How many bees are we talking?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

100 yards is not far enough you need to move them atleast a three miles from your original location

@acebird They are around 500 bees..You say to put the box and transfer the box,beside the hive in the new location or to put them by super in the hive??
    What about combining this bees with another hive??
    Thank you!!

I would just leave them be they will leave on there own 500 bee are not worth worrying about. They will find there new home or find a new hive to be with.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

There are always a couple hundred bees that return to the old location, but they have little impact on the hive's health or production.

I have often moved bees a short distance around the property with no harm done...the conventional "wisdom" that they have to be moved miles away is a myth.

Many of the bees that return to the old location will eventually find the nearest new one... a few won't, just as every day a few foragers do not return to the hive.

sorry you got the bad advice. other than trying to scoop them up at night and dumpimg them in the entrance there is not much that can be done.

I send there a box with drawn frames and the bees are entering the box.Please tell me the next step.I don't want to lose theme.
    There are about 1 package of bees there.
    Thanks Guys.

I've never had any luck with branch or a board over the entrance either. But, if you brush the returning bees into a container and take dump them back in their original hive, very few seem to make the same mistake twice. You might have a few bees to bring back a second time.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by visar09 View Post
    I send there a box with drawn frames and the bees are entering the box.Please tell me the next step.I don't want to lose theme.
    There are about 1 package of bees there.
    Thanks Guys.
    If they go in the box in the evening close up the box and put it on the hive in the new location or maybe even shake them out in the morning in the hive at the new location.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Yup, wait until its starting to get dark, and go set a nuc or really any kind of box (heck, cut a hole in a shoe box) and put it next to them. Maybe a drop of lemongrass oil in it if they absolutely refuse to go in voluntarily. Let them move into it, then carry it over to the hive and dump them back in.

Shouldn't take them too long to figure out their mistake. Should only have to do that once, maybe twice before they figure it out.

Just don't put the box there during the day, like everybody else said. You *WANT* those bees to be confused and trying to find the hive again on their own. If you put the box where they think the hive should be, their little bee brains aren't advanced enough to realize this isn't the same hive they left and will move right on in and wonder why somebody cleaned the place out.

I would also wait until warmer weather to move them. Don't want to stress them out too much by having them be both confused and cold. Wait until its warmer and there's absolutely no worry about them getting too cold being out on their own with no way to get back home easily to warm back up.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

2 feet or 2 miles. Anything in between will cause some drift. You can do things to mitigate the quantity but the possibility of blocking it totally beyond killing the bees is nearly impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    2 feet or 2 miles. Anything in between will cause some drift. You can do things to mitigate the quantity but the possibility of blocking it totally beyond killing the bees is nearly impossible.
    I always heard it as the rule of 3. Three miles for 3 days, or 3 foot increments. But same basic idea.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

I've been meaning to try a towel over the front of the hive forcing the bees to turn 90 degrees to get out. Read it works better than a branch.

>What about combining this bees with another hive??
    There may be a lot of fighting, most will get killed. You can transfer bees by putting them in a jar with a screen lid, set the screen over the inner cover hole, there will be mad bees for about 15 min then they will calm down, you can add them at that point and no fighting. But most will still go back to the old location.

I would scoop them up and dump them in the old hive. Some and very stubborn and you will move them several times before they figure it out.
    Last edited by FlowerPlanter; 03-07-2014 at 11:13 AM.

The old joke, if you put the branch in front of the entrance they reorient in 7 days, otherwise it takes a full week.
    37 years - 25 colonies - IPM disciple - naturally skeptic

Again, Per Mr. Bush:
    "You can check in the evening before dark and see if any are clustering at the old location. If so, put a super there and they will move into it and you can move them after dark again."

A friend of ours heard my wife was interested in keeping bees, and invited us to see his backyard hive. He said, move a hive less than two inches or more than two miles. We wondered why.

Last night in bee school, they described moving some hives 100 yards to avoid vandalism. First, they moved them several miles away for a couple of weeks.

I guess it's kind of a navigational reboot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast