Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thoughts Upon the New Shizel Hive Tool

Looking for feedback on the new Shizel Hive Tool. Here are some recent comments from those who have purchased the tool. It was introduced at the beginning of the year through the American Bee Journal and Bee Culture Magazine.

"I recently purchased this tool. I have a thumb joint that is injured and it is painful to pry hive bodies apart with a conventional hive tool. This tool allows me to pry the hive bodies apart and pry up frames with ease. It is a great relief to have found this wonderful tool."
    David J. Little
    Bee Delight Honey Farm

"It works beautifully; much better leverage and easier to push in between tightly sealed boxes than the standard issue from bee supply houses. Also, I was impressed with the quality of the welds and the overall heft of the tool makes when breaking into a well-sealed hive!" Steve Lewis, S&S Loma Verde

Don, "This is my second Shizel. My grandpa always said, "If one is great, buy two", Rick from Iowa

"We had a bee school committee meeting tonight. I took the Shizel tools to the person collecting the door prizes and showed the tools to the group. they were all impressed".

One comment: "Now, THAT'S a hive tool!" Another: "You could do anything with that." I'm looking forward to getting reactions at the bee school, particularly from experienced beekeepers. James from TN

Default Re: Thoughts Upon the New Shizel Hive Tool

I haven't laid hands on it, but I think it might have a niche market with 1-2 hive back yard hobby beeks, but I like to keep my hive tools in my pockets and this one is just too bulky for that. I also miss-place hive tools often, so I avoid any that cost more then a few dollars. From looking at pics of it it looks like a standard hive tool with a handle welded onto it... I am thinking too much bruit and not enough brawn.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Haven't had one in my hand yet. But looking at the photos of them I'd say that one drawback might be that I couldn't put it in my back pocket, where my hive tool stays when working the yard unless I am using it. On the other hand, it's big enough that it will be harder to lose in the grass. I plan on getting one some time.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

>one drawback might be that I couldn't put it in my back pocket

That might be it's best feature....no more propolis covered credit cards in my wallet.

bluegrass,

I think you should lay your hands on it. Dave from Colorado tried 2 tools and purchased 4 more for his commercial operation a few weeks later. I was a former beekeeper who produced over a million lbs of honey. I know what this tool will do! There is more to the manufacturing of this tool than welding a handle on it! There is stamping, sheering, bending, welding, heat treating, sharpening, electro-plating, dipping, and engraving. It looks more bulky in the picture than it is. The ergonomic design is more than conventional wisdom, it is practical. Beekeepers will not want to lose this tool! One customer is already designing a hook to hang it from through the nail pulling slot. You should purchase one and then post your opinion. It has an unconditional 30 day guarantee. Thank you for your thoughts and have a great day! Don
    Last edited by drichards; 03-07-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Frank, Thank you. Laugh out Loud

If you ship me one free I would be happy to field test it and write up a fair and balanced opinion . If it came with a means of hanging it off of a hammer loop on coveralls that could be a benefit.

Like I said I keep my hive tools in my pocket, usually 3 or 4 of them. I even find the J-hook type to be too big and bulky due to it's length. I would have to go through a fundamental change of practice in order to utilize this tool.

The old standard heavy red devil paint scraper with a good tapered nail puller was hive tool perfection and adding anything to it is just not necessary in my opinion. I hope the hobbyist market is good to you though.

I guess I really am going blind or something. I looked at the site. I saw a picture of a pretty girl holding...something. Couldn't really tell what it was. Personally I'd like to see some really good, clear, uncluttered photos so I could tell what it looks like. Preferably from several different angles. With a white or a light background.

JMO

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

…and I would like to see pictures of it being used on a hive. Better yet, show us a video of it being used on a hive. Show me why it is better than what I currently use.
    "Everything turns to dust -and there is nothing you can do to stop it".

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    I guess I really am going blind or something. I looked at the site. I saw a picture of a pretty girl holding...something. Couldn't really tell what it was. Personally I'd like to see some really good, clear, uncluttered photos so I could tell what it looks like. Preferably from several different angles. With a white or a light background.

JMO

Rusty
    Try looking to the Right hand side of the screen... There is one in the ad feeds that is on a white background.... Now I have to go see if this girl you speak of is pretty or if you have bad tastes in women.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrass View Post
    Try looking to the Right hand side of the screen... There is one in the ad feeds that is on a white background.... Now I have to go see if this girl you speak of is pretty or if you have bad tastes in women.
    Shucks. I use Ghostery so I don't see any ads. And at 67 to me EVERY woman under 30 IS young and pretty! Ah to be under 40 again! sigh.

Rusty

edited to add: I found a better picture on ebay! Now that I can see it better, not exactly convinced it's better than what I am using. Sorry.
    $_57.jpg
    Last edited by Rusty Hills Farm; 03-07-2014 at 06:43 PM.

I am getting good feedback from those who have used the tool. Sent one to Australia today. Probably when I am smoker fodder others will say, "That was a good idea" Besides a pretty woman at the web site, you may want to look at some work I am doing on Varroa mite control. As Rusty said, you can see a detailed look at the tool at ebay by searching hive tool, and you don't even have to put on your bi-focals. I am working on a video to demonstrate its use, and I hope to also show how to control mites without chemicals. As stated in the beekeeping section, I am using proceeds to work on bee related issues. Anyone that wants to join me, purchase a Shizel Tool. Thank you for entering the discussion and kindest regards.

It IS very nicely made!

Rusty

I am happy that I purchased 2 shizel tools. My husband and I both use them in the bee yard. I am pleased with the handle and ability to keep up with the tool. I handled the shizel with more ease than the standard hive tool, and had less fatigue of my wrists and hands. I'm glad I took a chance with this product. Thank you. Mary from Gulfport, MS

Quote Originally Posted by Woodchip View Post
    …and I would like to see pictures of it being used on a hive. Better yet, show us a video of it being used on a hive. Show me why it is better than what I currently use.
    Woodchip,

Here is a link to a testimonial video from David Little. The tool is not only easier to use for people with arthritis, but also great for anyone working a hive. Thanks for your input.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnyRQfvJcCk

Here is another quote from a very satisfied customer.

Don, sorry took so long to get back with you. Yes I have used your Shizel the past 3 trips into my bees. I take care of appox. 50+ hives in Chapin SC. I LOVE your tool. I will never leave home without it. I use it along with a frame grip. I keep the frame grip in my left hand and your Shizel tool in my right hand. Makes getting the frame up and out a whole lot easier than trying to pry with a traditional hive tool. It also scrapes very well. I was a little concerned about scraping because with my hive tool I have always used the curved part on it and pulled to scrape. But scraping by pushing is a breeze with the Shizel. While inspecting a frame I never put the tool down it just becomes a part of my hand as I spin the frames around inspecting them. I plan on working with it from here on out or until I lose it and I may be ordering another one soon for a back up. On a scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being trash and 10 being the next great thing I would give it a 10+ . I will be glad to stay in touch with you as my season progresses and I run into anything good or bad.

Thanks, Tim Christian - Flower Power Honey

Tim,
    What a great testimonial! I loosen the frames in a super from the bottom by gently running the blade along the bottom edge of the super and slightly prying up on each frame. Then when I take the frame out from the top it pops right out without damaging the top bar and less disturbance to the bees. I certainly would be glad to hear from you as the season progresses. Thanks again!
    Regards,
    Don Richards
    Last edited by drichards; 03-21-2014 at 09:06 AM.

pretty big and pretty pricey...have you checked out http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...KET-HIVE-TOOL?

SL Tx I am not going to bash your little pocket tool. This statement from Tim Christian sums up our product. "Don, sorry took so long to get back with you. Yes I have used your Shizel the past 3 trips into my bees. I take care of appox. 50+ hives in Chapin SC. I LOVE your tool. I will never leave home without it. I use it along with a frame grip. I keep the frame grip in my left hand and your Shizel tool in my right hand. Makes getting the frame up and out a whole lot easier than trying to pry with a traditional hive tool. It also scrapes very well. I was a little concerned about scraping because with my hive tool I have always used the curved part on it and pulled to scrape. But scraping by pushing is a breeze with the Shizel. While inspecting a frame I never put the tool down it just becomes a part of my hand as I spin the frames around inspecting them. I plan on working with it from here on out or until I lose it and I may be ordering another one soon for a back up. On a scale of 1 - 10 with 1 being trash and 10 being the next great thing I would give it a 10+ . I will be glad to stay in touch with you as my season progresses and I run into anything good or bad."

Thanks, Tim Christian - Flower Power Honey

James from Kingsport, TN wrote: The attendees called it the "Cadillac" of hive tools.

Bill and Pat from Texas "Been using this to clean our bee hive frames as well as out bee hive boxes, excellent for this purpose. In addition, this is the perfect tool for weeding and planting our herbs! Highly recommend it as the all around garden tool! Thank you to the inventor, we like the name too!
    Glad we have 2, we each have our own!"

Don

I wish someone would put a( rubber bumper pad) at the end of these hive tools. No matter what hive tool I use, I always have to use my balm of my hand to drive in the hive tools between boxes. Sure when I see the demo ,they all work well on new boxes. Try ones that been together for a few months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast