Default Ukraine and thoughts of honey

Please enjoy this article about Hubam Clover.

http://pcela.rs/hubam.htm
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Default Re: Ukraine and thoughts of honey

Perhaps it's new to the Ukraine but Hubam was widely planted in the upper Midwestern US in the 40's and 50's. I've heard of stories of Hubam crops from bee keepers in days gone by.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I've heard of stories of Hubam crops from bee keepers in days gone by.
    One year in July, all my supers were empty. NY inspector did a survey looking for varroa…it was early in the invasion. I removed the supers…all were empty and this was the middle of July. A good sweet clover flow hit, and seven days later all the supers were full. An amazing flow. Hope we see it again some day.

If anyone has a source for Hubam, I would love to find some... I buy white and yellow sweet clover seed from the local farmers coop but they couldn't find any Hubam...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I removed the supers…all were empty and this was the middle of July. A good sweet clover flow hit, and seven days later all the supers were full. An amazing flow.
    Mid 80's Mark Hamilton [deceased] and I placed 30 colonies on 30 acres of Hubam clover outside of Kaufman Texas, middle of May. We made a super of honey on mediums with new plastic frames every 5 days. Unfortunately the rancher turned it under while still in full bloom after less than 3 weeks. I ran across this article thought I would post beings the happenings going on in Ukraine.
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    If anyone has a source for Hubam, I would love to find some... I buy white and yellow sweet clover seed from the local farmers coop but they couldn't find any Hubam...
    Several suppliers in the US have it, Douglass King Seeds http://www.dkseeds.com/ seem to have a good price. Find it under wildlife> clovers. Unfortunately it's to hard to import here so I have stuck with annual plantings of the normal biennial kinds of sweet clover.

Rob