Default Article; Honey Bee Evolution

Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Default Re: Article; Honey Bee Evolution

Since you brought it up I was wondering if you could give me a reasonable number detailing the statistical probability of "evolution" producing the hamulate wing-coupling on honeybees? Whats the chance of a "design" like that happening "on its own" over a "long period of time? " " Couple hundred trillion to one.... Higher?

Wing coupling is only a minor player in the over all design and construction of the bee. Not to mention the social construct of the order. The probability must be pretty high since it did happen in somewhat less than a 4.5 billion years. Along with millions, more or less, other bugs, bears and babies. Go figure.

Wildly beautiful photos.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Since you brought it up I was wondering if you could give me a reasonable number detailing the statistical probability of "evolution" producing the hamulate wing-coupling on honeybees? Whats the chance of a "design" like that happening "on its own" over a "long period of time? " " Couple hundred trillion to one.... Higher?
    I have no idea how you would calculate something like that, but for every successful adaptation such as wing hooks there is likely to a be vast number of unsuccessful maladaptation that didn't make it into the current design. No statistical problem with seemingly unlikely adaptations turning up.

Let's not get into tailgater territory and cause the thread to turn into a food fight that just gets shut down. No one is likely to change their mind anyway.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

"Hamilton first proposed a theoretical model that could explain how each generation of sterile bees contributed to the fitness of their species."

"After an intensive analysis, the team discovered that there are certain regions of the honeybee genome that are undergoing rapid positive selection."

"Again, we have to ask, how are these good traits being passed on from one sterile generation to the next?"

My theory plain and simple, natural selection--the hive is a living organism it one part fails the hive fails. If one part does well the hive does well and make more drones to spread superior genes. Environment will select different traits.

From now on, when someone talks about "hygenic queens", I'll probably have to say something. The old biddy doesn't raise a leg to take out the trash. She just raises workers who are hygienic. I knew that, of course, but it never occurred to me how wrong the term is.

The other insight is that the queen does not make decisions for the colony. She just lays eggs and emits pheromones letting the workers know her condition, and maybe leads a swarm. The workers decide what size cells to make, what stores they need to lay in, when to make new queens, and when to step on to the next job that needs doing. Their behavior drives the colony as much or more than the queen's.

Wrap your mind around the superorganism!

I'm glad you caught up to the superorganism idea Phoebee. Not a new idea at all. Just something folks don't seem to get quite often.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Phoebee, sqkcrk, I see the superorganism mentioned in many ways and places. It amazes me how the hive plans, controls things as unusual as the Queens weight, tests her ability to fly on the first swarm jump.....so many things! Truly an amazing organism. Who knows, maybe they are selecting for mite resistance!!!