Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Not Sure - Swarm Cells or Supercedure?

JRG13 is dead right
    I dont know how many times i have tried to save a queen from supercedure. The bees know and make there own medicine. Each time i would move them the queen would build up very well and then they would do it all over again. My advise is make a split you have enough bees and kill the old girl. When the bees are not happy the honey flow suffers. I dont buy into the numbers game, two queen right hives will produce the same honey poundage as one massive hive. Not an expert at this but have lost a lot of swarm hives over the years trying to build massive numbers for the flow. I would also look at your forage, you may not have your hives in a rich source?
    Just my 2 cents

What wolfer said about drone brood might help with the connecting comb. With the use of foundation, the bees have a hard time drawing enough drone cells to satisfy their needs so they build it where they can. I don't mind it as the broken open cells allow me to check drone brood for mites during an inspection.

That would make sense I only use foundation frames... Next time I pull frames out of the deeps I will replace with a few frameless....

I am leaning towards supercedure. The question of how many QC's were made? I would say somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5. I ripped one of the cells pulling out a frame, as it was connected to the bottom medium's frame. The original hive was only 2 mediums tall, so it's not like she was up in a really tall colony and her scent was lost. The forage area is quite good. The colony right beside them put on 35lbs of surplus honey, although they were a stronger hive going into winter.

The hives are split and I'll update with what happens to the queen that was moved. Weather is looking really nice for the next 7-10 days, and so hopefully my newly emerged queens will mate successfully.

Thanks again for all this insight and brainstorming. In a way, I love that whatever is going on still has me (and most of you) guessing. Happy Saturday!

Calbears
    If you put the foundationless frames third from the outside it seems that's where they like them. They'll draw the entire frame in drone cells. They will only lay drones until they get what they want then theyll use it for storage.

Beetastic

I'm still wondering if you saw capped worker brood?

Thanks for advice and I saw a ton caped cells inside the frames....

Wolfer-

There was capped worker brood.

Well, I had one of my colonies swarm. I timed it just right and showed up around 10:30am. They must have just flew the coop. I had 2 colonies that were at swarm strength. One I split up with the old queen + bees and brood. The other colony, I didn't have time to split up, and me thinks it was them. I'll peek inside in a few days to see where I stand.

Here's a quick video of the housed swarm.

http://instagram.com/p/ls6AMsgtsM/#