Default Flower Identification Questions

What type of light blue flower is this sharing a patch of ground with Henbit?
    Is it a useful source of pollen/nectar?
    IMG_0383-small.jpg

Default Re: Flower Identification Questions

Nevermind.

I found a website that claims it is Persian Speedwell (Veronica persica)

Looks like invasive creeping charlie. An early bloomer, the girls here love it, are usually all over it.

Not sure of the identification, after looking up the Persian Speedwell and Creeping Charlie I would lean towards the Persian Speedwell. We have the stuff everywhere. It's pretty much what keeps our property greenish during the winter. It's a very early bloomer like already stated. I noticed ours blooming in early January this year and the bees are working it any chance they get to fly.

Is this the flower? It was all over DC last spring during the cherry blossom bloom. Tiny little thing. I had to use all my close-up filters and then crop the image down to get this.

DC Cherry Blossoms 028 Crop.jpg

Here is a grainy portion of the cropped image. looks like the same type flower.
    Close-up.gif

Quote Originally Posted by VARyan View Post
    Not sure of the identification, after looking up the Persian Speedwell and Creeping Charlie I would lean towards the Persian Speedwell. We have the stuff everywhere. It's pretty much what keeps our property greenish during the winter. It's a very early bloomer like already stated. I noticed ours blooming in early January this year and the bees are working it any chance they get to fly.

Your right, after relooking I agree persian speedwell. Although creeping charlie is everywhere in Louisville, especially in the old parts of the city. In early spring some yards are blanketed in a sea of beaitful indigo flowers.

It seems to grow in the less sunny areas where grass has problems growing and cannot crowd out. It use to be a popular ground cover, in early spring some yards are coated in a beautiful blanket of indigo flowers. But then thru spring in summer it aggressive spreader. I have some blooming in my cold frame, the yard weeds havn't started but should in a few weeks.